Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2109 Discussions

RAID 5 Initialization extremely slow on Z790

Dj_Kuehn
Novice

I have 3 new 2 TB SATA hard drives in a fresh high end system build. Before creating the array, the 3 drives were benchmarked individually, each averaging apx 220mb/s read and 200 mb/s write (sequential, crystal diskmark). This was to verify the drives performed to spec.

However, when I created the RAID 5 array in the Optane software, initialization is EXTREMELY slow. I know this is a process that takes a while normally. However, after 16 hours it is only at 7%. At this rate I'm looking at nearly 10 days for initialization.

Questions:

1. What is a "normal" time for this process?
  2. Assuming this is abnormal, what could be the cause?
  3. If this eventually finishes then someday a drive fails, does that also mean I'm looking at a similar time frame to rebuild the lost data? If so, I need to rethink RAID 5 as a viable option and get another drive for 0+1. 
  4. While initializing, task manager shows zero drive activity. Is this normal?
  5. While initializing, disk benchmark numbers drop tremendously. Read/write goes from 220/200 down to like 40/20.  Normal?

System specs:

MSI Z790 MB

i7 13700K 

32gb RAM

3x Seagate ST2000DM008 in RAID 5 (new, unused, blank)

Samsung 980 Pro 2tb system drive. 

Windows 11, latest intel RST drivers (19.5). 

12 Replies
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Dj_Kuehn.

Thank you for posting on the Intel community Support forum.

I will move your thread to the dedicated Intel Rapid Storage Technology section so it can be answered as soon as possible.

One of m y colleagues will contact you soon.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @Dj_Kuehn

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. We would be more than glad to help you with your issue.

In order to furnish you with precise information in response to your queries, I will undertake additional research. As soon as I have obtained the requested information, I will promptly communicate it to you. 

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @Dj_Kuehn

Thank you for your understanding.

We're currently conducting further research and will promptly provide you with the results.

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

0 Kudos
Peppe75
Beginner

I've the some problem on Asus z790 e gaming strix,  the raid 5 (
three disk nas WD 4 TB) performance on my previous z87 chipset was perfect!

tested driver  RST/VMD:

19.5.5.1052 WHQL (intel download)

19.5.0.1037 (from manufacter)

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @Dj_Kuehn

We greatly appreciate your patience and sincerely apologize for the delay in our response. Your inquiries have been diligently forwarded to our specialized RAID department, ensuring that we provide you with the most precise and comprehensive information. Below, you will find their responses:

• What is a "normal" time for this process?

This depends on the disk performance. For example, different performance between GEN3/GEN4 NVMe, SATA SSD, SATA HDD 5400 rpm and 7200 rpm

• Assuming this is abnormal, what could be the cause?

We previously observed one performance issue related to SATA HDD cache design. Ex: Seagate ST500LX025

• If this eventually finishes then someday a drive fails, does that also mean I'm looking at a similar time frame to rebuild the lost data? If so, I need to rethink RAID 5 as a viable option and get another drive for 0+1. 

One disk failed, it can still work, and, you can get a new disk to rebuild RAID5. This rebuild can be done by HSA app.

• While initializing, task manager shows zero drive activity. Is this normal?

RAID “initializing” is mainly working inside RST driver.

• While initializing, disk benchmark numbers drop tremendously. Read/write goes from 220/200 down to like 40/20. Normal?

Since the RST driver is working the “initializing”, it’s expected the performance impact. 

@Peppe75, we kindly recommend that you initiate a new discussion thread to address and resolve your concern more effectively.

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello Dj_Kuehn

We hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance, otherwise the thread will be closed.

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

0 Kudos
Dj_Kuehn
Novice

Yes, but that "answer" didn't really answer anything. 

• What is a "normal" time for this process?

This depends on the disk performance. For example, different performance between GEN3/GEN4 NVMe, SATA SSD, SATA HDD 5400 rpm and 7200 rpm

That is, frankly, a total non-answer. How about this equivalent question and answer:

Customer: "Hi, my car will only go 5mph and smoke is pouring out the back. Is this normal?"

Company: "Thanks for contacting us. The top speed of a car depends on many factors. The horsepower, wheel size, transmission gearing, and aerodynamics all play a role."

Customer: "Um, thanks?"

I gave thorough system specs as well as the exact make and model of drive. The process did eventually complete after a whopping 10 days. I still have no idea if a rebuild will also take 10 days. The benchmark numbers after completing this are roughly equivalent to 2 drives in RAID 0 for read performance, but about that of a single drive in write performance.

The only conclusion I can draw here is that RAID 5 is broken on the Z790. You're far better off with 2 drives in RAID 1 or 4 drives in 0+1.

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @Dj_Kuehn,

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused by our previous response. Unfortunately, providing a specific timeframe is challenging due to the multitude of factors involved, as previously mentioned.

The time required to create a RAID setup is influenced by a wide array of variables, including the number and capacity of drives, the type of RAID controller or software being used, drive speeds, RAID level and configuration, background processes, RAID controller cache, file system format, and more.

Even when estimating in an ideal scenario where both read and write processes occur simultaneously and efficiently, the total time for RAID 5 creation is approximately 39,098.18 seconds, roughly equivalent to 10.86 hours. However, please note that this is a rough estimate, and the actual duration can fluctuate due to factors such as the efficiency of your RAID controller, system workload, and potential bottlenecks.

Additionally, the RAID creation process may involve supplementary setup and verification steps that could extend the overall timeframe.

Best regards,

Isaac Q.

0 Kudos
Dj_Kuehn
Novice

I completely understand and agree with everything you just said. 

However, there is a significant difference between 10.86 hours and 10 DAYS. No degree of variation in those variables justifies that, particularly considering most of the items listed are not variables at all. Here we know the controller, drive speeds, raid level, cache, etc. That only leaves background processes and file system format. 

Background processes shouldn't really matter since you already said the process is almost entirely handled by the controller. Regardless, the computer was effectively idle for the vast majority of those 10 days. Furthermore, the drives were (and still are) completely empty with zero utilization. As for file system, all were default (NTFS) settings in windows 11. It's also worth reiterating that this is a brand new high end system using Intel's supposedly top of the line PC chipset. 

I'm going to stop following this thread now. I did not expect there to be any immediate solution, but I also did not expect a flat out denial that there was even anything abnormal about the situation. 

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @Dj_Kuehn,

I apologize for any frustration or confusion caused. Since you've expressed your decision to discontinue the discussion on this topic, I will respect your request and close the thread. If you ever have further questions or need assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out. Have a great day!

Best regards,

Isaac Q.

0 Kudos
homeexpert12
Beginner

Another potential reason for slow RAID 5 initialization is if the system is performing background tasks or disk checks during the initialization. This could impact the speed. MOFA Attestation is crucial for ensuring the integrity of data, especially in RAID setups.

0 Kudos
homeexpert123
Beginner

It's perplexing to witness RAID 5 initialization dragging at a snail's pace on Z790. It's akin to dealing with a persistent pest control issue, requiring meticulous attention to ensure optimal performance in both scenarios.

0 Kudos