Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

RAID5 failing after thermal shutdown?

RKenn11
Beginner

Hey guys,

So the pump went on my Corsair H110i the other night... I was rendering a project in Adobe Media Encoder, and my CPU overheated causing a thermal shutdown. I replaced the H110i with a H115i and am back up and running, albeit with high temps still for some reason, but to my surprise my RAID5 array has failed. One disk is seems to be healthy, one disk is coming up now as a non-raid member (but I can't find a way to reinclude it), and the third disc is showing as offline. These are all Seagate Enterprise 8TB drives, model number ST8000NM0055.

Needless to say, it looks like I've lost everything. Normally I back up my project files and things weekly, bi-weekly, but it just so happens I haven't backed anything up to cold storage since the end of November... I had a bad case of the flu in Dec, and with the holiday I didn't get much work done, so I wasn't on top of it. As soon as I got back to work, I was rendering the video I mentioned above, and bam...

Anyway, I am hoping someone has some advice for me here, and maybe I can salvage some of my data. As I mentioned above, one drive seems healthy, one appears as a non-raid member. I am able to scan the lost partition on the non-raid member disc. Most of the software I am using finds a very limited number of files... but when I use Pixel8 (which is what Seagate recommends) I do see most of the data showing up (luckily I had just rebuilt the array after wiping and backing it up in Nov, so there isn't too much stuff, there are just a few Premiere projects I am trying to recover.)

Does anyone have experience with Pixel8? I will have to purchase a key to recover any of the data, and I don't want to drop $100 if it isn't going to be worth it, funds are tight at the moment... But I am kind of backed against a wall here, as no other recovery software (Recuva, EaseUS, Stellar, etc) are able to find these files? Strange if you ask me.

Additionally, is it safe for me to turn RAID off so that I may be able to access the other drive that is showing as healthy? Or is there a way for me to force the non-raid member drive back into the array? If you look at the array in Intel Rapid Storage software, the drives in the array that aren't working both have :0 added to the end of their serial numbers...

Here are some images as reference...

https://i.imgur.com/ExTGgjm.jpg

If anyone has any ideas I will be forever grateful, I just don't want to do something to screw myself further... I am starting to think I may be able to salvage this, as the "non-raid member" disc is clearly functioning, and the "offline" disc says I can clear the metadata to "clear incompatiable raid information data on this disk in order to return its usage to availalbe." Not sure what that means and if it means I will lose any data. I want to make sure I can recover what I can before I go any further.

Thanks!

UPDATE 1

I decided to disable RAID in the BIOS and switched to AHCI. I can confirm that all discs are detected by windows in the device manager, so they should all be working. I believe this issue is directly related to RST. I think that something got messed up after the thermal shutdown, probably when troubleshooting it. I removed the CMOS battery and switched BIOS profiles while trying to diagnose the issue initially, which lead to me confirming it was the pump on my cooler. After replacing the unit I switched by BIOS profile back to my main one. On the first boot is when I realized the RAID array was affected. I can't for the life of me figure out how to restore/rebuild the array. I am going to try and salvage what I can from the drives using Pixel8 as it seems to be the only software that is detecting the files that I need to recover. If successful I am going to just format the drives and create a new array. Still looking for any help I can get though. If I lose these files I will have about 100 hours of work to redo, and it's not as easy as just redoing it, these are multicam videos and creative projects that aren't easily reproduced... ugh...

UPDATE 2

I went ahead and ordered ReclaiMe, which found the files and says I have a good chance of recovering them. I will update if I need additional help. Thanks.

UPDATE 3

I cannot recover the files... it looks like I have to fix the RAID array first... I have confirmed that all drives are healthy and working fine, so this has to be an RST software issue. Why has RST added the :0 and :N:0 to these drives? I believe that is why they aren't being recognized. How do I force the serial numbers to update, or reinclude the drives in the array? I really can't afford to lose this data. Now that I know that the drives are good (I tested them individually after disabling RAID, each drive was accessible with ReclaiMe and I found files on each one, but when I recover the files from the individual drives they're always corrupted. I downloaded ReclaiMe RAID Recovery, but I can't recover/create the XML file to fix it because I can only select one disk... Any support would be great. Is there an official support I can contact as well?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Storozh
Beginner

Do you remember which was RAID5 stripe size ?

0 Kudos
RKenn11
Beginner

I think I may have found a solution. I switched back to AHCI in BIOS and then used ReclaiMe RAID Recovery, selected the three drives, it rebuilt the array in what I guess is some form of virtual RAID, created an XML file, loaded it into ReclaiMe and everything looks to be intact. It shows 100% confidence in recovery too, which is relieving. I am restoring some of the data now, I will respond when it's done to confirm if it worked.

0 Kudos
Storozh
Beginner

On RAID5 array was one partition ?

May be better been use DMDE utility ? Home page is https://dmde.com/. From "Download" section download "DMDE for Windows, 64-bit", unpack .zip archive and launch with administrative rights.

0 Kudos