Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2046 Discussions

RST software doesn't see my RAID5, while the system does have access to it

idata
Employee

Switched from an old system (with Intel RST) to a new one, and moved my RAID 5 setup over. Very happy that my new system just showed my RAID 5 volume as expected, with no further interaction needed. The Intel RST driver for Windows however was not installed (or I didn't have the tray icon at the least) so I grabbed the last version of it, and installed that, so I can keep an eye on the system from Windows too, as I have done in my old system aswell.

Intel RST 15.7.0.1014 is now installed, and it seems to be working the way it's supposed to. It does indicate an error/warning state tho, but I'm unable to verify what that error/warning actually is. Looking at the status screen, it tells me my SSD is there, an ATAPI device (DVD), and a non used connector on port 4. It does however NOT show ports 2m 3 and 5 which have my RAID5 connected. (see attached Status.png)

If I go into the Help screen, and check the systems-repost, the disks ARE mentioned as expected. All indicated with the proper size, the model and serial numbers, and all have the status 'Normal'. See the SystemReport.txt

So my questions:

1) Why is the RAID5 not shown in my install of the Intel RST software?

2) What is the 'error/warning' indication that Intel RST shows under the Status, but doesn't show anywhere else?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello Neko-,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

According with the report you kindly attach on the forum I can see that your BIOS is set to AHCI mode and not RAID mode, your RAID 5 is fine, but since you already installed the operating system on your SSD in AHCI mode you will need to reinstall the operating system in RAID mode.

I'm sorry that you will need to go through the process of reinstalling the operating system but if you access the bios and you just change the SATA mode to RAID your system will not boot.

Best wishes,

Ivan U.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Neko-,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

According with the report you kindly attach on the forum I can see that your BIOS is set to AHCI mode and not RAID mode, your RAID 5 is fine, but since you already installed the operating system on your SSD in AHCI mode you will need to reinstall the operating system in RAID mode.

I'm sorry that you will need to go through the process of reinstalling the operating system but if you access the bios and you just change the SATA mode to RAID your system will not boot.

Best wishes,

Ivan U.

idata
Employee

I went into the BIOS, and indeed found the RST to be switched off. Once I switched that on, I did see the familiar screen during boot again (briefly) indicating it saw the configuration of the system.

Did let Windows try to boot, but found it died on me, so I switched it back/ Only installed the system last weekend, and it's finally mostly up-n-running for what I want with it. I'll leave the RST software for the moment then. Once I do find the time and want to spend the effort for a reinstall, I'll take care of that in one fell swoop.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for your reply and please let me know how it goes if you have the chance to reinstall the operating system.

Best wishes,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

And like always I was tempted to just leave it for now... But then it started itching... and Tuesday evening I just had to scratch that itch.

Wiped the C: drive, and reinstalled from scratch in 3 hrs.

Suffice to say... RST now works

So the solution for this (switching it on in the BIOS was the sound option

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for your reply and I'm glad that it work great for you and I hope you can have better experience with your system from now on.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
JPars5
Beginner

It's very disappointing to find the official Intel help giving bad advice!

I'm very sorry to hear that you had to reinstall Windows for no reason, you can actually change from AHCI to Raid mode without the need to reinstall Windows, you wouldn't cut off your head because you have a sore toe!

Vista-Win7

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-change-sata-hard-disk-mode-from-ide-to-ahci-raid-in-bios-after-installing-windows/ How to Change SATA Hard Disk Mode from IDE to AHCI / RAID in BIOS after Installing Windows? - AskVG

Windows 8-10

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/22631-enable-ahci-windows-8-windows-10-after-installation.html Windows 10 Forums

After the change above I can boot in AHCI or RAID without changing anything but the mode in the bios!

Someone posted with the same issue as you and the Intel help was vague so I answered the question.

Please read my post Ivan U, you should not be recommending a full windows reinstall when the solution is a simple registry fix!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for this valuable information you have kindly provided. I'm sorry but the information I provided is not wrong information, perhaps you can do this with your system using the registry or any other way but we don't support registry and this are options that depends on the system it will not work because some systems can be customized by the computer manufacturer.

We appreciate your contribution on this post and I'm sure it will work great for you and for other users but for Intel the best solution is to reinstall the operating system to change from AHCI to RAID mode.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos