Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID

Repair RAID1 and keep data

TGr
Beginner

I am trying to recover from a failed HDD while keeping data.

System: Asus H87M-Pro motherboard (H87 express chipset), using Intel RST 13.2.8.1002 drivers in Windows 10 64-bit.

Drives: 1x128GB SSD, 2x3TB HDD (previously RAID 1).

One of the 3TB drives failed. System restarted multiple times into recovery/repair before I was finally able to boot into Windows. I have since replaced the drive with an identical drive (WD Red).

On bootup RAID POST does not show any RAID volumes.

Windows lists the working disk as "Failed Redundancy", and the replacement disk as "Unallocated/Not Initialised". Windows also lists a Missing disk.

I read that I could use the RST UI to create a new RAID1 array and keep data from one of the disks. However, this option does not appear at all in my UI.

How can I recreate the RAID1 and keep the data from the working drive?

Thanks in advance,

-Tib.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Tiboroszlan,

I understand that you are having problems rebuilding the RAID 1 that you had.

Regarding this, I would like to start by gathering some more information of your system, in fact, I need you to please generate an Intel ® System Support Utility report and attach it to this thread. You can generate this report by using our tool which you can download in the link below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Aside from that, we will also need an Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology system report, you can refer to the link below for steps on how to generate this one:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006351/technologies.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006351/technologies.html

Make sure to attach it to this thread as well.

I hope to hear from you.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
TGr
Beginner

Hi David,

I've added the logs as requested.

Also added screenshot of UI.

Cheers,

Tib.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Tiboroszlan,

Thank you for your response.

I would like to know if you have the option to keep data when creating a RAID 1 with Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology. Make sure to reach the end of the configuration of the RAID without hitting confirm just to check if the option is available.

Another way to do this is to backup the information in a different drive, insert the two drives and create a RAID 1 from scratch. When the RAID is created, move the data back into the newly created RAID.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Tiboroszlan,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

If possible, please provide me with the information mentioned.

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
TGr
Beginner

Hi David,

The next confirmation screen makes it clear that data will be deleted. I've attached a screenshot.

Is there a different version of the UI that I need to use?

Regards,

Tibor.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Tiboroszlan,

Thank you for your response.

I appreciate you taking the time to provide me with the screenshot requested. Now, regarding the version, I can see that you have the 13.2.8.1002 which is a bit old; however, after checking the combination of hardware/O.S I was able to see that there is no actual compatible version in the motherboard's website.

I was able to find a version compatible with that combination in our website, you can try the following version:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver?product=55005 Download Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) User Interface and Driver

On a side-note, I have a solution which could take a little longer, but it will surely work, which is to backup the data in a different hard drive, create the RAID 1 with the Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology, and then put the data back in when the RAID 1 is active and created. Again, as I said, this solution is the least practical, nevertheless, I wanted to let you know in case you want to take it into consideration.

I apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Tiboroszlan,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

Were you able to try the steps mentioned above?

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
TGr
Beginner

Hi David,

I ended up using a Windows RAID as a temporary measure.

Reading this thread it seems that there may be an issue caused by the drive being GPT (not MBR). It was set to GPT in order to access the full 3TB.

I suspect that if I had an MBR drive, then the option to migrate data would be available. Is that correct?

Regards,

Tibor.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Tiboroszlan,

Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities.

I was checking but in fact, it should not really affect whether the drives are on GPT or MBR. Nevertheless, I would like to know, were you able to rebuild the RAID with the Windows* RAID manager?

Regards,

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos