Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Replace a RAID0 disk with a larger one

sandman42
Beginner

Hi,

I have an HP EliteBook 8570w, with a 700 GB mechanical disk.

The laptop has a cache device RAID0 and an internal 700 GB disk with no mentioning about RAID.

I want to replace it with a 1 TB SSD.

How can I do that? Simply clone the mechanical disk and then enlarge the partition up to 1 TB or have I to do something different?

Thanks

Francesco

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

sandman42, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to your question, first of all, before trying any type of changes on your RAID configuration, we recommend to back up all the important information you might have in your system in order to avoid any loss of data.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system, please provide the SSU report:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

And also, please provide the RAID report:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006351/technologies.html

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

sandman42, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to your question, first of all, before trying any type of changes on your RAID configuration, we recommend to back up all the important information you might have in your system in order to avoid any loss of data.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system, please provide the SSU report:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

And also, please provide the RAID report:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006351/technologies.html

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

sandman42
Beginner

Hi,

I'll surely back all up because if I replace the actual disk with a larger one, I'll clone the actual into the newer and work with the newer, so I'll have a backup copy.

My concern is about rolling back if something goes wrong. Suppose that the new disk doesn't work for any reason. Can I remove it, insert the old one and this way everything is like I haven't done anything?

Here are the logs you've asked me.

Thanks

Francesco

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi sandman42, Thank you very much for providing the reports.

In regard to this scenario, since you are working with RAID 0 and there is no redundancy, there is no option to clone the mechanical disk and then enlarge the partition up to 1 TB since the RAID structure will fail and the computer will not boot.

In reference to "remove it, insert the old one and this way everything is like I haven't done anything?" that is not an option neither, since you are using RAID 0 every time you need to do some hardware changes you will need to start from zero and build the RAID from scratch.

So, if you want to use a larger drive, it is needed, being a RAID 0, to use 2 drives with the same size, in this case 1TB and then create the RAID 0 from scratch.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
sandman42
Beginner

Following up this thread, in this disk I've actually installed Windows 7.

I want to upgrade to Windows 10.

Usually, in order to avoid messing up a working disk, I clone it, and run the update on the clone.

With the setup I have (laptop is a HP Elitebook 8570w) how can I create a backup copy of the HD (say a clone of) so if I mess up things I reinsert the HD-copy and everything is ok once again?

Thanks

0 Kudos