Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID

Replace 'old' disk

MvanL3
Beginner

I had 2 disks (disk A en B) in RAID1 but because I thought 1 disk (disk A) was broken I took it out of my desktop. I reinstalled Windows after a systemcrash on disk 2 and formatted the disk 1 and put it back in my desktop.

When turning on the desktop all kind of window errors occured.

It seems like the information on disk 1 (empt) is getting mirrored on the disk I reinstalled Windows on (disk2).

Can anyone help me to clear this out?

I already tried to put the reinstalled windows disk (2) on the first Raid position on the motherboard but this doesn't seem to help.....

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You need to go into the RST extension in the BIOS and remove the drives from the array. In non-UEFI and older UEFI systems, this is done by doing CTRL-I during BIOS POST. In newer UEFI implementations, support for the extension is provided within the BIOS Setup program.

H​ope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
MvanL3
Beginner

Thanks for your answer.

Is it possible to take out the drive from Bios en put it back in and let it by rebuild bij RST without data loss?

Regards

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I am unsure that that can be guaranteed. Because of what you did and where you stand currently, I believe that your best bet is to:

1. Make a complete backup of the array to secondary media. [Aside: you should be doing and have this already.]
  2. Remove BOTH drives from the array.
  3. Reboot.
  4. Create new array on the drives.
  5. Copy everything from the backup to the new array.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
MvanL3
Beginner

Thanks again.

I figured out another solution that worked:

• cleaned the disk with DiskPart ( cleared all RAID data)
  • put it back in Desktop
  • opened RST in taskbar (BIOS cntrl + I not working here) and searched for the disk and followed steps to put in a new disk in this RAID.

0 Kudos