Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Right settings for raid 5 with Intel c220

DRoub
Beginner

Hello together,

I bought a Dell T20 server with Intel c220 raid controller and created a raid 5 with three 1TB HDDs. The problem is, it is painfully slow. Do somebody have advice, which configuration has a best performace?

How I can use ssd as cache?

Current configuration:

Hardware:

Controller: c220

CPU: Xeon

RAM: 16GB

HDDs:

1000GB Samsung EcoGreen F3 HD105SI 32MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 3Gb/s /samsung hd105si

1000GB Hitachi HDT721010SLA360 16MB 7200 U/min SATA

1000GB interne Festplatte 3,5", 7200rpm, 8MB Cache, SATA III / Toshiba DT01ACA100

Raid Settings

Cache is on

Cache Modus is Write Back

Strip size: 128 KB

Initialisation is done

Thank you for support.

Best regards

Dany

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello -Dany-,

I would like to check I more information in regard to your system, so please respond to the following;

To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" in the top right corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear in the bottom right corner of the response box.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
DRoub
Beginner

Hello Amy,

thank you for your response. Here is the asked information.

Ver: 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 7601

Regards,

Dany

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Dany thank you for the report.

Just a couple a things I would like to clarify regarding this configuration; when it comes to RAID 5 the read speed is considerably fast, but the write speed will take its time due to the parity calculation that is characteristic of RAID 5. The other aspect you have to bear in mind it that your configuration will run at 3Gb/s since it's the lowest speed in your hard drives. With that being said, I can go back to your main question which is if you can use cache; and, yes you can. Although I cannot guarantee that it will make a great impact in your system. In the following link; http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005501.html Intel® Smart Response Technology User Guide, you will find all the information in order to set one more SSD as cache. I would also recommend getting in contact with Dell since it's possible that they can provide more tips on getting the right performance for your tower.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
DRoub
Beginner

Amy thank you for your answer. I can understand the argumentation, but it isn't really clear for why I have speed range between 7Mb/s and 150 Mb/s. I read the page before the raid was created and it was a trigger for my question. I don't have a accelertaion setting in the intel tool. On the place I see only a hint about windows cache (take a look in the attachment). RAID is configured in BIOS and if I go to the raid menu befor Windows starts, it isn't possible to activate the acceleration setting too.

I had Windows on my ssd and then I created the Raid. Is it the problem? If yes, how can I solve without Windows reinstallation?

Thank you for your support and best regards,

Dany

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sure, you're welcome.

Acceleration can only be done using the Intel® RST software. In your case since the SSD has the operating system the Intel® RST recognizes it and will not show the option to accelerate. So, in order to do this you need to add another empty SSD, then the Intel® RST software will let you accelerate.

In regard your second questions, to be honest it has nothing to do with it.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Dany, hope the information posted above helped you.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos