Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Same issue as @Drives missing from array but are present and recognized in

AutomationMan
Novice

I have almost the identical issue as @RalphORama reported in his post Drives-missing-from-array-but-are-present-and-recognized-in/m-p/640953#M6087 
My system suffered a power loss (UPS failed!) then went into reboot loop due to "classpnpsys" failure.
Eventually identified that MOBO settings had been lost (date time gone, disk RAID config turned off etc.)
I reset date time and re-enabled RAID and the system boots ok but RAID now shows only ONE of its three drives attached to the array with the other two apparently still visible and "Normal" within the IRST UI, but how do I simply re-connect them to the array without loosing all their data?
Is there a RAID config file/table I can modify? 

AutomationMan_0-1641111294926.png

Also attached is the IRST System Report (with notations)

Also here is a shot of Windows Disk Management - notable that one of the three RAID drives shows here as "Not Initialised"

AutomationMan_1-1641113589290.png

0 Kudos
13 Replies
JosueO_Intel

Hello AutomationMan,

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities. In order to have a better understanding of the issue, please share with us the following information: 

1. Model of the system you have.
  2. Picture of the RAID status on the BIOS.

Also, please download and install the Intel System Support Utility (Intel SSU):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 

Open the application and select "Everything" click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel SSU will take you to the "Summary View". Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

Click on "Next", save the report and attach it to your response.

Regards, 

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

JosueO_Intel

Hello AutomationMan,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let us know if you still need assistance.  

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
AutomationMan
Novice

Hi Josue
Thank  you for your prompt reply
I set out immediately following your reply, to send you a response then got side-tracked with work
I intend to have a response to you by COB today.
Thank you for your patience

Regards Col. Sanders

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello AutomationMan,

Don't worry, we will wait for you to be able to provide us with the information requested. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

AutomationMan
Novice

Hi Josue_O
Thank you for your support.
Here is the additional data  ... finally ... thanks for waiting.

Going by the system log, it looks like one of the three RAID members may have been corrupted and needs to be re-initialised.
If I do that, would the IRST then offer the ability to rebuild the array perhaps?

1. Please find attached the SSU report
2&3. Please find attached 2x photos of the ASUS BIOS showing all SATA ports and the three RAID drives

AutomationMan_2-1641529969708.png

AutomationMan_3-1641530012301.png

I'm going to try breaking this post up as it won't send with all the content 

More to follow

Regards Col. Sanders

0 Kudos
AutomationMan
Novice

Part 2 of my post

AutomationMan_6-1641533300815.png

AutomationMan_7-1641533325658.png

AutomationMan_8-1641533350995.png

Looking forward to your response

Regards Col. Sanders

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello AutomationMan,

Thank you for the information provided.  

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello AutomationMan,

In this case, based on the "failed" picture, we noticed that there is only one member disk in the array. At this point, the data and the structure of it are gone which makes the RAID 5 unrecoverable. You will need to recreate the array from scratch. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
AutomationMan
Novice

Oh no!
I was scared you were going to say that.
Just goes to reinforce my disbelief in RAID5 as resilience strategy!

Surely there is some way to force the RAID controller to attempt to re-attach the "apparently normal" detached drive
(i.e. BIOS: SATA6G_5 / OS: Disk 4 / assigned drives: K" L: M: O: )
(i.e. tell the controller which port to find it on)
then re-initialise the failed drive, so a rebuild could at-least be attempted?
As an IT tech and programmer, I have to wonder if there isn't a BIOS level verb-set for managing these RAID controllers, so pointer tables etc can be manipulated?

Regards Col Sanders 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
RAID5 can survive a single drive being lost, but not multiple drives. As for a way to reinsert multiple drives accidently removed, no, it has never supported this.
Sorry,
...S
0 Kudos
AutomationMan
Novice

Oh no ...   ;-!} 
Thank you for your reply

That's truly sad considering I quite likely still have 2 of the 3 disks digitally "intact" but for some reason the controller detached two of them at once when the system ungraciously lost power during the original UPS 'failure'
It appears one of the three suffered digital corruption

Ahh technology! 

Fortunately I had most of it on backup and only lost some more recent updates  (I think/hope).
Again - thanks for your interactions.
- Regards Col

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello AutomationMan,

Thank you for the information provided, also, our recommendation is to check the SSDs with the manufacturer to be sure they are working fin and don't have any damage due to the power outage. 

Hope this information is useful, if you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
AutomationMan
Novice

Hi Josue O
You must have mis-read the detailed information I provided you, since none of the RAID drives are SSD!
As can be seen in several of the images I supplied, the 3 RAID drives are all WDC WD30EZRX 00D8PB0 which are 3TB Winchester Red HDD's

The data structures are still accessible from the OS (using low-level tools),  for the mounted and one of the dismounted drives.
There is just one (of the two which dismounted) which appears to have it's data corrupted. 

The only SSD in the system was clearly shown as the Samsung 850 EVO 1TB system drive on port SATA6G_1, and that's operating just fine.

Regards Col

0 Kudos