Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2039 Discussions

URGENT: RAID1 rebuild resulted in wiped hard drive

thedriver
Beginner

1. Power outage caused RAID1 to split. Two disks (SATA Port 3 and Port 4) seen individually in RAID pre boot environment and in OS (with same data on both).

2. Used RST and Intel Rapid Recover Technology to create a new RAID1 volume on disks on SATA Ports 3 and 4 (I'm fairly certain the Array Name was "SATA_Array_0001" at that point, with a Volume Name of "Data"), but selecting to keeping data on from disk on Port 3 (desiganted master drive) and mirroring to disk on port 4. Rebuild process seemed to be working.

3. After migration completed, RST gave an error that the Disk on SATA Port 3 was degraded. I marked disk as normal and initiated rebuild.

4. After the rebuild completed though, RST noted it was successful with no errors. However now I have no data on the array (it now has an Array Name of SATA_Array_0002, still with Volume Name of "Data") and wants to be initialised in Windows Disk Management.

What's the process to recover the data on this mirror please?

See attached System Report, Intel System Support Utility and screenshot.

Note: Either at step 4, or before Step 3, I also created another RAID 1 volume of two other disks (I'm failry certain this is was originally known as Array Name of SATA_Array_0002, with Volume Name of "BACKUP"). But this has taken the original Array Name from the DATA volume of SATA_Array_0001 though it seems. Somehow they swapped Array Names. I thought I shoudl try to clarify this in terms of reviewing the attached support logs.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
thedriver
Beginner

And to add some complexity...

My boot volume, which was also a RAID 1 mirror (Array Name: "SATA_Array_0000", Volume Name: "ROOT") has now lost a drive and is degraded, this is ONLY since the rebuild of the Volume Name of "Data" completed and wiped my data. This was working perfectly before and I know the disk is still attached.

I believe this will be captured in the support logs I already attached in my post above.

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello thedriver

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. Based on the information provided, you will have to get rid of the current RAIDs (until it's shown as non-RAID(, boot to the OS and confirm if the data is still available. If it's still available, you can create a new RAID 1. 

Regards, 

David G 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let us know if you still need assistance.   

Best regards,  

David G.  

0 Kudos
thedriver
Beginner
Thanks David, I've scheduled the downtime on the server for this weekend to see if I can recover this.
I'll give you an update ASAP.
0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello thedriver. We are following up to confirm if still need assistance, in case you do please let us know.

Regards,  

David G. 

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Best regards,  

David G. 

0 Kudos