Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Unable to inject the driver into Windows Recovery Partition

TGray6
Beginner

Today (08 Jun 2020) my PC successfully auto updated Intel Corporation – SCSIAdapter – 7/23/2019 12:00:00 AM – 17.5.3.1026. The update was from the Dell Corporation.

At the end of the update the following message appeared.

Unable to inject the driver into Windows Recovery Partition

The issue does not impact Intel Optane memory functionality. You can continue the installation, but should inject the installed driver into your Windows recovery environment once the installation process is complete.

Not doing so may prevent the Windows System Recovery environment from detecting your Intel Optane memory enabled computer in the event of a critical system failure.

Can you please advise, with as much detail as possible, (I am a complete novice) how to inject the driver or anything else I need to do to.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello TGray6

Thank you for posting in the Intel Community.

·       Do you have any Intel® Optane™ module on the system?

·       Can you provide me with the download link that you are using on the system to install Intel® RST?

·       What is the model of your system?

·       I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have on the computer. Please attach to this thread the TXT file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

·       Steps to save the report:

1-    Run the utility.

2-    Click on “Scan” to get the scanned system.

3-    Once the scan is complete click on “next”.

4-    Use the “save” option, save the report to your desktop.

5-    To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
TGray6
Beginner

Hello Leonardo and thanks for the response.

Please find the requested Scan file information attached.

Some more detail which may help.

I have a Dell Latitude E6540 laptop with Intel® Core™ i7-4800MQ CPU @ 2.70GHz using

Win 10 Pro x64 version 1909 build 18363.836. The Laptop is six years old.

I regularly check for MS updates in particular the Security Intelligence update for MS Defender Antivirus.

When clicking on the “Check for Updates” button it downloads and installs any available updates automatically.

On this occasion two were available, the usual Security one and the Intel Corporation – SCSI Adapter one.

If it is a Security update only, the PC does not require a restart, only when there are major updates.

On this occasion the PC require to restart after downloading the updates and I did so.

After the Security update installed the Dell support window appeared advising of the SCSI Adapter one and started to install it. This took approx. 20 minutes and toward the end of it I got the message advised in my post to the Intel community. I have attached a screenshot in case it helps.

The Intel update has created a folder within the Downloads folder in Win Explorer named “Intel Driver and Support Assistant” and within that there is an application file with the following detail;

SetupRST  date modified 08/06/2020 06:49 size 22,590 KB. I have not done anything with this file and it would seem to be the downloaded Intel update. I have attached a screenshot in case it helps.

The Windows update history also shows the Intel update as successfully installed but it is grayed out perhaps indicating it has not installed?

A search of “This PC” for Optane shows 12 files. I have attached a screenshot in case it helps.

TGray6

0 Kudos
TGray6
Beginner

Leonardo,

Clarification/more info

I do not think it was the Dell Command Update that did the install but the Intel Driver & Support Assist application.

There is an Intel Rapid Storage Technology Icon on my desktop that was not there before the install.

TGray6

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello TGray6

Please keep in mind that Intel® driver and support assistance (Intel® DSA) cannot be installed on the system without user intervention and it is important to take into consideration that this software is going to recommend Intel® generic drivers (non-customized drivers for prebuild OEM systems), the updates recommended by Intel® have to be approved by the user before installing on the system.

In addition, if your system is a prebuilt system from DELL™ it is recommended to use the Intel® RST driver that they provide (https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/latitude-e6540-laptop/drivers).

Finally, if you are not using Intel® RST on the system to have raid structures there is no need to have the software installed.

NOTE: if you have questions about the DELL™s driver please contact DELL™ support (https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04).

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
TGray6
Beginner

Leonardo C.

Thanks again but I'm afraid this is too complicated for my 77 year old brain to absorb.

I have contacted Dell but as my laptop is out of warranty they simply refer you to their community pages which is what I have done. Not had a response yet.

From what I can gather I can simply not use it (let sleeping dogs lie so to speak) as it does not seem to be anything I would need or know how to use.

I have deleted the icon from my desktop and will leave it at that.

I appreciate your time and effort into this.

TGray6

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello TGray6

Thank you for the response I would like to share with you that form our side if Intel® RST is not needed you can uninstall it following the steps on Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) on Windows® 10 is crashing (solution tow- part 1) you can continue the assistance on DELL™ community in regards of the drivers that they recommend for your system.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos