Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

What drives are supported as cache to accelerate secondary HDD?

CDias
Beginner

I used to useIntel Smart Response technology with my old motherboard to accelerate my data HDDs and was disappointed to see it no longer works on my new Z390 based board. Does anyone have a list of drives that can be used as cache to accelerate a secondary HDD? E.g. is the Intel Optane 800p series supported?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, only the (1st gen) 16 and 32 GB Intel Optane Memory and Intel Optane Memory M10 modules can be used for HDD acceleration - and can only be used with desktop motherboards and laptop baseboards that provide the necessary hardware-level (M.2 Type B/M PCIe/NVMe socket), firmware-level (Intel Rapid Storage and O/S-level (64-bit Windows 10) support; look for products with the “Intel Optane memory ready” designation. For more information, see here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023994/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html and here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024018/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html

Once you hit the Intel Optane 800p products, you are talking about (2nd gen) standalone SSD products. Acceleration of HDDs is not offered with these products.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, only the (1st gen) 16 and 32 GB Intel Optane Memory and Intel Optane Memory M10 modules can be used for HDD acceleration - and can only be used with desktop motherboards and laptop baseboards that provide the necessary hardware-level (M.2 Type B/M PCIe/NVMe socket), firmware-level (Intel Rapid Storage and O/S-level (64-bit Windows 10) support; look for products with the “Intel Optane memory ready” designation. For more information, see here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023994/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html and here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024018/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html

Once you hit the Intel Optane 800p products, you are talking about (2nd gen) standalone SSD products. Acceleration of HDDs is not offered with these products.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
CDias
Beginner

Scott, thanks for the response. That's what I feared as well. Its a shame intel changed a brilliant product from several years ago that worked with any SSD into this proprietary Optane memory based solution for no apparent reason other than more money. I hope I'm not over-simplifying the technicalities behind this.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Since you've given me the opportunity, I have to have my rant about this too...

I was a regular user of Intel SRT. It worked - perhaps not as well, but well enough. It was definitely less complicated. I can only think of three reasons for eliminating it:

1. Firmware limitations required the Optane caching support to have to replace the Intel SRT support. Hah!
  2. The performance of Intel SRT was not that far behind that of Optane and thus it made Optane look bad.
  3. Eliminate the alternative so folks are forced to spend the money on the replacement.

Take your pick; it mostly greed as far as I can tell...

...S

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello CDias, Thank you for having contacted Intel® Technical Support. I was reviewing your community post and we would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case. We will be looking forward to your reply. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yea Josh, this conversation is essentially done. From here on in it would be nothing but more ranting and whining anyway....😉

...S

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello n.scott.pearson, Thank you for your reply. As per your consent, this case is now close if you need further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us again. Best regards, Josh B. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos