Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Win11 Install doesn't detect NVMe Drive

BFreita01
Beginner

Hi, today i ask for the wisdom of this community in a rather problematic case.

So i recently bought my dad new PC parts and today we finally had the time to start the installation of Windows 11. Everything was fine till the point where we had to decide on which Drive we wanted to install Win11 and the Setup showing that no drives were detected. 

The only drive currently installed is a NVMe one (for safety and ease of install) which to work needs a fitting driver - Intel RST, but here is were the problems gets even worse, as we bought a brand new 14th gen CPU and Intel RST currently has no version for 14th gen CPUs (at least i didnt find one).

So i tried to get it ro run with the old RST (that we only get the .exe is a whole nother can of worms). Nothing as its not compatible (who would have thought -_-).

Any tips on what to do? Is the Intel RST even needed with Gen 14 or is this another seperate Problem?

FYI: Intel i7 14700K / Gigabyte Z790 Gaming X / Crucial P3 NVMe

Regards

BFreita01

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

First of all, NVMe does not need a driver. The driver is built into Windows 11 (as it was in Windows 10).

Secondly, NVMe requires that you use UEFI boot; you cannot use Legacy. Make sure you boot the Windows installer in UEFI mode and, during the Windows installation, make sure that you delete all existing partitions on the System drive (to ensure GPT partition table written to drive).

Next, do you have plans to use RAID? If not, you do not want RST enabled! In BIOS Setup, set the SATA Mode to AHCI and/or disable anything to do with RST.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

First of all, NVMe does not need a driver. The driver is built into Windows 11 (as it was in Windows 10).

Secondly, NVMe requires that you use UEFI boot; you cannot use Legacy. Make sure you boot the Windows installer in UEFI mode and, during the Windows installation, make sure that you delete all existing partitions on the System drive (to ensure GPT partition table written to drive).

Next, do you have plans to use RAID? If not, you do not want RST enabled! In BIOS Setup, set the SATA Mode to AHCI and/or disable anything to do with RST.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
BFreita01
Beginner
There are no plans to use Raid but my search predominantly showed RST as being the problem. In the End it was probably the UEFI Boot.

Reflashed the Bios with a newer Version which supports 14th gen CPUs (with some minor trouble, Black Screen) and after I got it running again everything was there.

Guessing it had something to do with 14th gen not being support in Version F3 for this Mainboard, thus not showing the M.2 as Mainboards are just that boards with no brains.

Thank you for the help.
0 Kudos