Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

slow migrating time RAID 1

Dirkteur
Beginner

I have 2 Intel SSD (660p 1 TB NVMe). I wanted to configure a RAID 1 system, after setting it up it started 'migrating' and it took 3 hours to complete ... with only 70 GB to go. I expected minutes.

Why is a system that's normally performing reading/writing easily with 500 MB - 1 GB / sec taking so long?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Dirkteur, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

It is expected to see RAID migrations to take some time, there is no estimated time since the migration might depend on the size of the drives, the amount of data you have on said drives, the priority you give to this process, etc. You can even run this in the background and use your system in the meantime. 

I have seen 1TB RAID migrations that have taken even some days to migrate.  

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Dirkteur
Beginner

tnx for elaborating, I can follow you're generic reasoning. But I'm looking for a more detailed explanation. I have only 70 GB to transfer and a NVMe (PCIe 3 x2) bus, which normally copies this amount of data in a few minutes. So there must be another factor besides the data transfer. Is Intel RST reading every (empy) block maybe? 

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Dirkteur,  

Thank you for your update. 

We cannot ensure you in your case what caused the slowness of this process. Generally speaking, the migrations could take time because of some factors like: 

Regards,  

Sebastian M   

0 Kudos
Dirkteur
Beginner

ok, so you're implying this is not normal behavior, but a problem? 

I'm going to switch the MoBo, and get check back after that. I'm pretty sure the disks are OK, I've been working with the (newer) Intel MAS tool.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Dirkteur,  

Thank you for your reply. 

As mentioned, it is expected to see the RAID migrations to take time to complete, the above-mentioned factors can cause the migration to take more time than expected but there is not any standard. 

I will be looking forward to hearing back from you with the test of a different board.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Dirkteur,  

By any chance, do you have an update on this? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Dirkteur
Beginner

I'll come back, it'll take some time to change MoBo

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Dirkteur,  

Were you able to complete the testing? Please let me know if you need more assistance or if you need any specific timeframe.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Dirkteur
Beginner
0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Dirkteur,   

Thanks for the update. 

I will be looking forward to hearing back from you. 

Regards,   

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Dirkteur,    

We have not heard back from you, so we will proceed to close this inquiry.  

I will recommend you doing the tests you are missing, and if you have any additional questions; please submit a new thread and we will gladly assist you.   

Regards,    

Sebastian M   

0 Kudos
Dirkteur
Beginner

I changed the MoBo as planned, now I need to find some time to test the RAID building, maybe today

0 Kudos
Dirkteur
Beginner

after testing the new MoBo, the speed was as expected (30 min for 70GB). So this was not default behavior.... tnx for assisting here.

0 Kudos