Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

C600 RAID 5 with SSD drives cause single drive failure under heavy load

RCarr8
Beginner

I have a Intel Server P4000CP with C600 RAID controller. I have five SSD drives (Samsung 840 PRO 256 GB), configuration - one system drive and 4 RAID 5 drives. I am running Windows 2012 R2. All drivers and firmware at latest versions.

Problem - when copying lots of data from the RAID drive (backups) I will occasionally (once a week) get a failed status on one of the RAID drives. Using the Intel Rapid Storage tool I can select the "Mark as normal" property and it will rebuild the drive and put it back to "Normal". It is always the same physical drive that fails. I have replaced with a new drive. No help.

The system drive works without issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello DSIRBC,

Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support.

We recommend testing different sata cable. Can you also please let us know if you are using a backplane in order to connect the hard drives?

We will look forward for your response

Jose H.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello DSIRBC,

Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support.

We recommend testing different sata cable. Can you also please let us know if you are using a backplane in order to connect the hard drives?

We will look forward for your response

Jose H.
0 Kudos
RCarr8
Beginner

Yes I am using an Intel HDD Cage 8 X 3.5. It has two drive bays (4 drives per bay), Each bay has its own I2C cable. I am only using one of the bays as I only have 4 drives. I swapped the cables and the problem, went away. I waited a few days before responding to make sure it was fixed. I will replace the bad cable if I decide to add additional drives in the future.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Glad to hear that it got resolved.

Regards.

Jose H.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello DSIRBC,

Do you any update about this?