Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

CVE-2018-3665 how to fix on windows

scha3
Beginner

Hi,

Recently I saw a CVE-2018-3665 details. I couldn't understand the solution to fix it.

We have a windows 2008, R2 server running on Dell R710 with Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5520 @ 2.27GHz processor. According to this CVE, looks like its affected. Please suggest on how can I fix it? Will the security updates will take care of that?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello redhat.shre,

Thanks for joining the community.

Doesn't seem to be a processor related issue but OS related instead.

This is what I was able to find for CVE-2018-3665:

https://access.redhat.com/security/cve/cve-2018-3665 https://access.redhat.com/security/cve/cve-2018-3665

Mitigation

RHEL-7 will automatically default to (safe) "eager" floating point register restore on Sandy Bridge and newer Intel processors. AMD processors are not affected. You can mitigate this issue on older processors by booting the kernel with the 'eagerfpu=on' parameter to enable eager FPU restore mode. In this mode FPU state is saved and restored for every task/context switch regardless of whether the current process invokes FPU instructions or not. The parameter does not affect performance negatively, and can be applied with no adverse effects to processors that are not affected.

For clarification or corrections please contact Red Hat Product Security.

Regards,

Jose A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello redhat.shre,

Do you have any updates, questions or comments in regards to this issue?

Please do not hesitate to contact us back.

If you consider the issue to be completed please let us know so we can proceed to mark this thread as resolved.

Regards

Jose A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello redhat.shre,

We will proceed to mark this thread as resolved. If you have further issues or questions just go ahead and create a new topic.

Jose A.
0 Kudos