Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

Cooling issues and fans blowing hard after firmware updates on S2600CP Board

LD4
Beginner

Hi,

I wanted to update the firmwares on a S2600CP that I've just started supporting. I previously installed Windows Server 2012 R2 on it and configured it as a Hyper-V Host and moved some VMs on to it and that was all working fine for a couple of weeks, including everything reporting as OK in the ASC.

So I tried to go to the latest firmwares (02.06.0006) via the EFI Shell and it failed the BMC update, at the end it said it could not leave Firmware Update mode and go back to Operation Mode.

I was on very old firmwares to begin with so I stepped through around 6 firmware bundles up to the very latest. When I booted into Windows I noticed the fans did not die down. I went into the ASC and could see the information attached in the images.

I tried downgrading back to the firmware before, which is what it's still currently on (02.06.0005) but this has not changed the situation.

Could anyone please help? Thanks.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi L.D,

The system is presenting you cooling issues after the BIOS-Firmware update with the latest version 02.06.0006. Before giving you a workaround please send us the results of https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600 Intel® System Support Utility for Windows version 2.5. Additionally, please include current processor model, the quantity of RAM and tell me if you have a RAID configuration.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi L.D,

I am following your case; let me know if I can assist you with anything else.

Regards,

Mike C

0 Kudos
LD4
Beginner

Hello Mike C,

Thanks for your reply.

CPUs are 2 x E5-2640. There is 64GB of RAM and there is an LSI 9260-8i storage controller which is doing all the RAID storage config work (the onboard RAID controller isn't doing anything).

Please find attached SSU Details.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello L.D.,

Thank you for the updated information and logs. What I can see there is two type of memory installed. I will recommend to live two of the Samsung memory and try to reflash the BIOS. And also test the FAN Speed, with only two memory sticks.

If there is anything else we can help please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
LD4
Beginner

Hi Henry,

Sorry when you said 'live two of the Samsung memory', you are suggesting I leave 2 sticks of the Samsung RAM in, one for each CPU, and then go up to the latest firmwares again?

What about after that, should I put all the RAM back in or should I try to get all the same RAM part number? I think I can get more of the Nanya RAM quickly but maybe not the Samsung. Does it matter if I use the Nanya RAM here instead of the Samsung? I ask this because you have obviously suggested that I use the Samsung when troubleshooting.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
LD4
Beginner

Actually out of the 8 sticks only 2 are the Nanya so I might have an easier time getting 2 more of the Samsung sticks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello L.D.,

I am really sorry for the mistyped word. But yes leave only two samsug memory chips and test it.

If there is anything else we can help please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Henry A.

0 Kudos
LD4
Beginner

Hello,

So I replaced the 2 differing RAM sticks, so now all 8 sticks are the same (please see attached new SSU log).

The issue remains pretty much the same, fans blowing hard at all time. Only difference is a slight change in reporting in the ASC, please see image (I have uninstalled and reinstalled ASC also).

First I went down to 2 sticks and did the firmware upgrades, went back to the latest versions, this did not help, fans still blowing hard. I shut down, took out the power cord, held down the power button, left power unplugged for about 2 minutes, tried again, same. Put all the RAM back in, restarted a couple of times, still the same.

I noticed that when the BMC firmware update is finishing, when it's exiting firmware transfer mode and goes back into Operation Mode, it goes quiet for a short while (not fans totally off, just normal fan levels), it then ramps up the fans once for a couple of seconds and then goes quiet again for maybe 5 or 6 seconds, then back to loud for ever after that. I also noticed that when the FRUSDR update finishes and it resets the BMC, I get the same thing with the fans going to sensible levels, I'm guessing this is BMC related. Really annoying.

I have to leave this server on as it's production, not sure how much more of this the fans can take..

What should I do? Should I go back to very old firmwares? Don't even know if that's possible. This is getting tiring, wish I never tried to update the firmwares in the first place, everything was working fine initially.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello L.D.,

Thank you for your feedback. You have replaced the memories and reinstalled the BIOS-firmware version.

As you mention, you are getting the same issue with 2 or 8 memory sticks.

I would need more details about your system configuration, please send me the chassis model and let me know if you are doing the test with the chassis lid closed; before given you a new workaround.

Intel provides with three years of warranty on Intel® Server boards since the date of purchase. If you want to proceed with it, I will create a case and we will continue via email.

Regards,

Mike C.
0 Kudos
LD4
Beginner

Hi,

The chasis is a rebadged chasis, I am not even sure if it is originally Intel. Do you know where I should look to find information about the Chasis model?

I have been doing all tests with the chasis lid closed.

In regards to warranty, have you been able to check from the information provided if this board is still under warranty? If so, I think we are close to opening a case on that, but I am willing to continue trying to troubleshoot this for a little while longer if needs be.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello L.D.,

I reviewed the SSU but, the application is not recognizing the part number and it is giving a generic serial number. It is necessary to collect the information from the board itself. There are 1 or 2 stickers with the PBA number and Serial Number. I am attaching a guide; it shows how to find these numbers on your server board.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005625.html# Lsp Intel® Server Products stocking ID/part number or serial number

In regard to the chassis, you will see a similar sticker in the backside of the chassis with the product code and serial number.

If you have a third party chassis, this could be the problem, it is necessary to change manually the settings of the fans while doing the SDRFRU update according to the chassis manufacturer specifications.

I will be waiting for your results.

Regards,

Mike C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, L.D.,

I was wondering if your system is still presenting fan issues. If the problem continues please include the chassis manufacturer and model.

Regards,

Mike C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, L.D.,

Please tell me if you need anything else in regards to your issue with the fans noise on your Intel® Server Board S2600CP.

Regards,

Mike C.

0 Kudos
LD4
Beginner

Hi,

In relation to the cover being closed, yes it has always been closed throughout.

In relation to the fan settings when performing the SDRFRU update on an 'other' chassis, yes I have been answering all the questions about which fans are plugged in where etc, I have done this multiple times answering the questions properly, and have tried alternative untrue answers, situation is still the same.

I cannot see anywhere easily on this chassis that shows me make and model! I may have to open it again but can't do that until certain time windows.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
LD4
Beginner

Hi Mike,

Found the case make and model I think!

Chenbro RM23508 BLK 2U

Looks exactly like this option (with the 8 x 3.5"):

http://www.circotech.com/chenbro-rm235-2u-rackmount-server-case-8-removable-hard-drive-trays.html Chenbro RM23508 2U Modular Storage chassis 8-Port Mini-SAS Backplane

Thanks!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, L.D,

In regard to your noise fan issue; I have reviewed your last posts, there are no drivers available at your server manufacturer Chenbro.

My suggestion is the following, run our System Information Retrieval Utility (Sysinfo), it will test your system and give us an idea how the system is working.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26991/System-Information-Retrieval-Utility-SysInfo- System Information Retrieval Utility (SysInfo)

Additionally, I suggest you contact Chenbro and double check if they have discovered fan issues on this server model.

http://www.chenbro.com/en-global/Page/contact_us Chenbro support

I will be waiting for the results of our utility.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, L.D,

I am following your noise fan issue; I was wondering if you were able to run our System Information Retrieval Utility.

Regards,

Mike C

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, L.D, I am following your noise fan issue.

Please, tell me if you anything else in regards to this post.

Regards,Mike C

0 Kudos
KMcMi2
Beginner

Out of curiosity is your case cover fully seated when you are experiencing the high-speed fans? I know my case if I have the lid off the fan go to full and stay on full until I depress the case cover switch. I clamp mine off when I work inside the case as its defening when the fans are on full. You might want to do a check on the switch itself with a multimeter to see if its your cuprit

0 Kudos