Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 difficulties connecting

ssvin
Novice

I have Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165. Windows 10 pro. I've tried every solution so far; resetting, updating, downgrading driver, delete, changing parameters etc. but nothing helps. The thing is when my HP notebook wakes after sleep it takes time to find my wireless network. It takes everything from 10 seconds to a couple of minutes and sometimes not at all. Or it finds it but stays in connection mode. The problem comes and goes and has been a problem for the last 6-8 months. I can reset the network and I got no problem for 2-10 days and then it starts over again with not connecting with no reason so far I can see. I get the warning: 6105 - deauth after EAPOL key exchange sequence.

68 Replies
ssvin
Novice

Hello Carlos,

Your links just take me to

I get a box saying: You are attempting to leave a secure area. This URL ' https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-17-y000-notebook-pc-series/10862315/model/11915538/swItemId/ob-174549-1?sku=W7Q75EA'. is not on Intel's approved white list of domains. If you believe this is a mistake please contact (mailto:Peterx.dulsky@intel.com Peterx.dulsky@intel.com).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
ssvin
Novice

Hello Carlos,

Yes, now I can copy/paste the links which I couldn't before.

I'm sure I had the latest OEM specific driver before and a fully updated BIOS, but now they are for sure.

PS. The issue persists.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

svendsvin,

We're going to need to dig deeper to figure this one out. Please provide the following logs:

1. In the search box on the taskbar, type Event Viewer

2. Expand Windows Logs > Right click on System > Clear log > Clear.

3. You may now close the event viewer and use the system to try and reproduce the issue.

4. After the issue occurs: Open Event Viewer again> Expand Windows Logs > Right click on System > "Save all events as..." > Proceed to save event log to a known location and share with us.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
ssvin
Novice

Hello Carlos,

This problem continues. I've attached the log file. I really hope it can point you in a direction that can solve my connecting problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello svendsvin,

Thanks for the logs. We'll continue to look into this and will update you as soon as we have an update/

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello svendsvin,

- Are you connecting to an enterprise, or a home network?

- Do you need to log in to your system after wake up?

- If not already, please set your network to private and let us know if this makes a difference.

1. Windows* Settings > Network & Internet > Manage known networks > [Your Wireless Network Name] > Properties

Another thing we could try would be to delete your wireless profile, and create it again manually through the Administrator Tool using persistent mode.

For this, you will need to have the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software installed, with the Administrator Toolkit included. The following instructions will work whether you are currently using a driver only installation, or if you have the PROSet installed without this feature (I've attached some screenshots for this process, hope they help):

1. Download and run the latest https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27309/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?v=t PROSet/Wireless Software for your adapter:

2. On the installation, you will need to accept the EULA and select Customize or Modify

3. Mark the Administrator Toolkit and select Install.

4. Windows* Settings > Network & Internet > Manage known networks > Wi-Fi > Forget this network (you will be disconnected).

5. Once the installation is successful you will be able to access the wireless tools through the Windows* Taskbar by searching for the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Tools.

6. Select Administer. You will be prompted to create a password for this tool.

7. Create a new package > OK.

8. Under the profiles tab, select Add.

9. Under general settings, Profile Name, type a name for this profile. This will identify the network in this system, it can be anything.

10. WiFiNetwork Name (SSID) > Type your network name (based on your WLAN Report: "Wi-Fi"). Select Next to proceed to the Security Settings.

11. Add your network's security settings, WPA2 - Personal (AES-CCMP), and it's password/encryption key. Select OK.

12. The tool will prompt you to save the changes. Select Yes. Save the executable to a location of your choice.

13. We won't need to access the package manually. In the following window, you will be given the option to "Apply this package to this computer," make sure this is selected and choose OK. This should reconnect you to the network.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
ssvin
Novice

Hello Carlos,

I'm connecting to a home network; I don't need to log in after wake up and it was already set up to private.

I tried creating a wireless profile following your guidance (excellent guide), but it wouldn't allow me to connect at all so I deleted it and installed latest Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software again. That means I'm back to square one.

Edit: I've noticed that when I push deactivate Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 the connection returns. I then push 'No' to deactivate and I'm connected. This does not happen every time but random.

I disabled the Microsoft WiFi Direct Virtual Adapter again because it was turned back on. Also 3 extra Microsoft WiFi Direct Virtual Adapters have appeared.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello svendsvin,

Thanks for the feedback, only wish it would've worked.

We're still investigating, but for now could you change your settings so that Windows* requires you to login after wake up and let us know if it makes a difference?

Make sure that you know your password before hand. Otherwise, if your account is not password protected it should simply require you to click "sign in" at some point.

If necessary, you may follow this tutorial... in reverse:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-prevent-windows-10-requiring-password-when-resuming-sleep How to prevent Windows 10 from requiring a password when resuming from sleep - by windowscentral.com

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
ssvin
Novice

Hello Carlos,

Thanks for trying. The pc is the "house" computer. Everybody can access it and therefore annoying to have it password protected because I feel it's in a secure environment. I have disabled a lot of MS unnecessary security settings (and bloatware) simply because it doesn't fit the use of our common pc. Anyway I have the same disabled settings on another pc and it wakes after sleep without a fuss, so I think for now I await your further investigation and see what that can bring to solve my problem.

Occasionally my problem also happens after reboot (this has become more frequent lately) and the connection is also starting to drop which never has been an issue previous.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello svendsvin,

Would it be possible for you to back up your files and reinstall the operating system?

There is a built-in option for this in Windows® 10 that allows you to perform a reinstall with very little user input, and no need to reactivate the OS:

https://youtu.be/PF5sqmRldDc?t=34 https://youtu.be/PF5sqmRldDc?t=34 - by Techddictive youtube.com

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

Best regards,

Carlos A.

0 Kudos
ssvin
Novice

Hello Carlos,

I still get the same error as previous: Your link just take me to Support Community.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello svendsvin,

My apologies, hadn't realize that url white-list was still ongoing.

I've edited my post to show the bare URL for you to copy and access.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
ssvin
Novice

Hello Carlos,

Just to get this clear. Following the video you want me to reset my pc and choose 'Keep my files'? And this option removes all my installed programs?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello svendsvin,

Correct, we would like to see if the issue is resolved by reinstalling your operating system, as it may be caused by an OS sided corruption.

Following the reset option, and choosing to keep your files will do just that, but keeping any user profiles and user folders. Alternatively, you may backup your files to an external or secondary drive and reset while deleting everything.

Both options will require you to install any programs again, but you should not need to re-activate your Windows* installation.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
ssvin
Novice

Hello Carlos,

I have to consider this solution. I all ready spent a good deal of time on the problem. With your solution I will use even more time with my pc. I have to admit though that I find the solution quite radical and not very sophisticated.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello svendsvin,

Since we've already tested different drivers, configurations, and steps, but had no effect on the problem it could mean that it's being caused by something other than your wireless adapter our our software and drivers.

There are some more steps that we could attempt before going all out, but in the end a clean installation of your operating system may turn out to be the shortest route towards a solution.

In the meantime, you could try running some DISM commands in powershell:

1. In the search box on the taskbar, type Powershell, press and hold (or right-click) Powershell, and then select Run as administrator > Yes.

2. Type and run: Repair-WindowsImage -online -restorehealth

3. Wait for the DISM tool to complete, restart and test your system.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
ssvin
Novice

Hello Carlos,

Three days ago I suddenly got an update through HP Support Assistant. It was Intel(R) PRO/Wireless Driver 19.02.0000.4750, though in the Support Assistant it's called 19.2.0.1(I never learn your system for calling drivers). It did not solve my problem, but there haven't been problems with reboot or connection drop since. Three days are not much, but with a little bit of luck and x-mas coming up...

I will try your latest suggestion and see what's going to happen.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello svendsvin,

I definitely understand. Driver versions can get messy, specially when it comes to comparing Intel® Generic and OEM specific downloads.

The simplest version is that we publish driver packages (Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers) which have a collection number, inside of the package you will find the different driver versions depending on your wireless adapter model.

Even if we have a newer generic driver published, we usually recommend using the OEM driver as their version is system specific and accounts for any features and customization applied.

We look forward to your next update. Enjoy the holidays!

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
ssvin
Novice

Hello Carlos,

Looking at the option of resetting I found it more of an advantage to have a look at your suggestion on login again. I opened my Group Policy Editor and changed the setting from Not Configured to Disabled just for a start. That worked well for a couple of days and then the connecting problem returned. I then enabled it to require a password, rebooted a couple of times, put it to sleep some more times, but it never asked me to set up a password. So password protection is now enabled but there is no password. Just the login screen. Anyway it seems that enabling login hasn't removed the problem thoroughly. It still has difficulties connecting but not quite as frequently as before. No connection drop or connecting issue after reboot.

I also tried you other suggestion about running some DISM commands in powershell, but I couldn't download the image (see attachment).

Update: Shortly after my last message the login screen disappeared after reboot and sleep and it just stated up normally. This happened a couple of times. Then my cursor started to act crazy. I got BSOD and after that I sat the "Require a password.." back to Not Configured.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello svendsvin,

This behaviors odd and could be proof of some type of OS corruption.

You could try the DISM commands, but in command prompt instead of powershell to see if it can run this way:

1. In the search box on the taskbar, type Command Prompt, press and hold (or right-click) Command Prompt, and then select Run as administrator > Yes.

2. Type and run: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

3. Wait for the DISM tool to complete, restart and test your system.

Regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos