Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 difficulties connecting

ssvin
Novice

I have Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165. Windows 10 pro. I've tried every solution so far; resetting, updating, downgrading driver, delete, changing parameters etc. but nothing helps. The thing is when my HP notebook wakes after sleep it takes time to find my wireless network. It takes everything from 10 seconds to a couple of minutes and sometimes not at all. Or it finds it but stays in connection mode. The problem comes and goes and has been a problem for the last 6-8 months. I can reset the network and I got no problem for 2-10 days and then it starts over again with not connecting with no reason so far I can see. I get the warning: 6105 - deauth after EAPOL key exchange sequence.

68 Replies
ssvin
Novice

Hello Carlos,

Couldn't download either.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello svendsvin,

At this point, reinstalling the OS may be the simplest way to address the possible system corruption causing this and your networking issues. However, there are other ways to workaround and get DISM to complete the repair.

This article doesn't talk about your exact error, but it does provide troubleshooting for the same root issue:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/dism-fails-source-files-could-not-be-found http://www.thewindowsclub.com/dism-fails-source-files-could-not-be-found

The recommendation is to try cleaning up system image components first, then re-try the DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

If this fails again after the clean up, they provide steps to manually specify which image to use.

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

Regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
ssvin
Novice

Hello Carlos,

I'm using WUMTWrapperScript to prevent Windows updates. I disabled it and enabled Windows update. After that it was no problem to run the DISM command. I don't believe much have changed because it couldn't find wifi after restart. I'll give it some time and see if there are any profound changes.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello svendsvin,

Another important step to take will be to upgrade your OS to the latest version available. Based on your SSU report and CMD screenshots, you're currently two releases behind:

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_version_history https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_version_history

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
ssvin
Novice

Hello Carlos,

I can say that the DISM command has had zero effect.

I know I'm some OS upgrades behind but that's on purpose. I also been considering if that was the way to go to try and solve my problem, but I has some bad experiences with upgrading OS and there is really nothing in them I find useful. I only see a LOT of bloatware. Anyway when TBA is due soon I give it a try.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello svendsvin,

We look forward to your next update. Let us know if you need any assistance in the meantime.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
ssvin
Novice

Hello Carlos,

The problem just got worse so I decided to upgrade to the latest Windows version (1703). That didn't solve anything. I then took the step to reset my PC. I choosed the one where I could keep my files, took a deep breath and plunged into the abyss. Alas it did not solve the problem as it lingered on. I then picked the second option, reset and remove everything, but nothing changed. Still difficulties connecting. Fortunately I had a backup so I reverted back to my original settings, but now it couldn't connect at all no matter what I tried. I then did the usual stuff (removing the driver etc. and installed the PROset). After a restart the wireless connected to my wifi again. I'm pretty sure it's only a matter of time before the issue returns. The question is what to do now?

When I run the program DriverStoreExplorer I see a multitude of different network adapters (see attachment). These can be removed with DriverStoreExplorer. Do you recommend I remove some of these?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello svendsvin,

So long as you make sure to download the latest drivers first, there should be no issue getting rid of all those and starting fresh. However, I would leave the Realtek* (your Ethernet Controller) and TAP V9 (part of Windows*, needed for VPNs) drivers alone.

I would also definitely recommend updating to version 1709. Creators Update (1703) had quite a few networking issues of it's own, it's not the most recommendable build.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
ssvin
Novice

Hello Carlos,

Thanks. After resetting my pc the 1709 update showed up but after several attempts it just wouldn't install. A quick glance at the internet shows me I'm not the only one with that problem. After rolling back to my original settings 1709 doesn't show when I run Windows update. I guess it eventually shows up in this part of the world too.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello svendsvin,

That can happen. If you don't want to wait, you can use the update assistant to manually trigger the update.

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

- https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 Download Windows® 10 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
ssvin
Novice

Hello Carlos,

Updating to 1709 didn't change anything. Same same. But for the last 10-12 days I have had luck with changing everything possible in power options to 'Never' regarding sleep mode. So no problems for now waking from sleep. I still had the not-connecting problem though after a restart. This changed when, also in power options, I unchecked the Fast Startup feature. I really hope these steps can end this very tiresome problem with not connecting and for now it actually seems so. The only problem left, and that I can live with, is that the connection drops now and then. Thanks for all your suggestions and help even though they didn't have the effect I could have wished for.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello svendsvin,

Thanks for the progress update.

There is a new driver that was released today, please try updating to it using the clean installation method and let us know if it helps:

1. Download and save the latest driver: 1. Wireless: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27475 WiFi_20.30.1_PROSet64_Win10.exe

2. Bluetooth®: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27493 BT_20.30.0_64_Win10.exe (not part of the troubleshooting, just sharing in case you do want to update your BT driver while at it). 2. Go to Windows Settings > Apps & Features (or Programs and Features in the Control Panel) and uninstall the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software. When prompted, choose to "discard settings."

3. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 and uninstall it. Make sure to mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device."

4. Clear out your temporary files: Press the Windows* Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe and press OK. Here you will need to make sure Temporary Files are checked, you may uncheck everything else, then press OK.

5. Reboot your computer.

6. Install the driver versions we downloaded back in step one.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
ssvin
Novice

Hello Carlos,

Updating PROset actually made it a turn to the worse. The connection kept on dropping so I turned back to PROset 20.10.2 (that is what the .exe file says, but the installed version is 20.20.2) and MS Update driver 19.51.9.1. But no matter what I tried I simply couldn't connect to my wireless again. So after several hours of trial and error I tried to turn off Network QoS Packet Scheduler and that connected me right away. After some stable weeks the connecting problem is back.

0 Kudos
SAKJS
Beginner

I too face same problem

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello confirm(1)">helloconfirm(1),

We understand you're also facing sporadic issues connecting to your wireless network after your system resumes from sleep.

- Are there any additional behaviors displayed by your computer?

- Does disabling and re-enabling the wireless adapter from Device Manager help?

- When did the issue start? (example: a few months ago, since the system was new, after a particular update, etc)

- Have you performed any troubleshooting?

- Have you tried the build-in "Network troubleshooter" or the "Network Reset" tool?

Additionally, we would like to take a look at your system configuration and settings in order to better assist you:

1. Please download and run the http://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293 Intel® System Support Utility.

2. Select to scan "everything," and run the scan while connected to your wireless network (if possible).

3. Save the report and attach it to your reply.

Note: To enable attachments, make sure to switch to the advanced editor while replying.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
LGasp
Beginner

Good day,

I have a Dell 5567 notebook, it has an Intel AC3165 Wi-Fi board. Internet download speed does not reach 4Mb. At home I have another old HP notebook, which I usually download at a speed of 25Mb. Obviously, the two connected through Wi-Fi.

I have tried everything to correct the problem without finding success. I have contacted Dell technical support, which gave me remote assistance, installed and uninstalled the drivers, without success of having found the solution. I have changed the configuration of the Wi-Fi board, having gone through all the possible configurations, and always obtaining the same results.

What version of Windows do you have? In my opinion the problem started after a Windows update.

Could someone solve it? In what way?

0 Kudos
ssvin
Novice

Hello lucianogaspari,

I get it that a lot of people had a whole lot of trouble after updating their OS, but in my case I got Win 10 out of the box. So I can rule that possibility out. I understand your grievances when you try everything possible but nothing seems to solve the problem. It's really, really frustrating.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello lucianogaspari,

I've posted a response to the /thread/120140 other thread you posted to, since it matches your issue a bit more closely.

Hello svendsvin,

We may need to try the https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10741/windows-10-fix-network-connection-issues Network Reset tool again, or make sure that you performed a clean installation when downgrading.

At this point I seriously suspect a hardware issue.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
ssvin
Novice

Hello Carlos,

What does the service Wireless PAN DHCP Server do? It's located in C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\PanDhcpDns.exe.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello svendsvin,

This process is part of the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software, it provides Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) services.

A DHCP server enables computers to request IP addresses and networking parameters automatically from the Internet service provider (ISP), reducing the need for a network administrator or a user to manually assign IP addresses to all network devices.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
ssvin
Novice

Hello Carlos,

Thanks. Wireless PAN DHCP Server service is set to manual. Is that sufficient?

I don't agree on your suspicion of a hardware issue. I have tried to remove unnecessary files from Wlansvc directory and it looks promising. After a restart it connects to my wifi immediately and also waking after sleep seems good.

I have followed solution 9, including the check read-only option, in this excellent trouble shooting guide: https://windowsreport.com/windows-10-wifi-not-connecting-automatically/

0 Kudos