Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4776 Discussions

Intel RMS3CC080 RAID module options (CacheCade)

GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

Hi

Does RMS3CC080 support CacheCade from LSI / Avago / Broadcom (what ever there calling themselves now).?

CacheCade into is here : https://www.broadcom.com/products/storage/raid-controllers/megaraid-cachecade-pro-software# overview MegaRAID CacheCade Pro 2.0 Software

Normally its a software key to activate the feature. The chip used in the Intel part (LSI3108) is not listed as compatible, but then LSI say i have to ask you guys.

Many Thanks

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi (((GRIFFCOMM,

Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support, I just reviewed the information provided and these are my thoughts on this one.

I need to let you know that we cannot make an official statement on third party products based on information form a third party website. So the following information is my personal input on this matter an is not endorsed by Intel as an official technical material.

With that said, normally software is built around hardware and not the other way around, hence, the software provider should be able to tell you what hardware is compatible with it, not sure why they routed you to Intel.

Anyway, I checked the documentation available in their website and as you mentioned the working chipset is not listed as compatible anywhere there, so I must assume is not. However, I have no way to test this out for confirmation.

From my point of view without being able to run test I would play it safe and work under the premise of no compatibility based on their official documentation. However, if you have the capability and the resources needed to try it and see what are the results I would definitely go for it so it can be documented for future incidents.

I hope this gives you at least a starting point to approach this set up. If there is anything else I may help you with please let me know.

Kenneth R.

Intel Customer Support.
0 Kudos
GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

Hi Kennith

Thanks, the question was more pointed to see if Intel did an "option" for this RAID controller of CacheCade, i assume from your answer it is not an option? (at least i couldnt find it)

The 3rd party site was LSI, and LSI makes the chip Intel are using, so it was a 3rd party link, but the 3rd party in this case is the IC manufacture you are using for your RAID controller.

However my findings at this point are the same as yours, as the IC needs to be aware of this and use the SSD as "cache" like the on board Cache, i would assume as the IC is not listed, it doesn't have the capacity to "expend" or "replace" its cache with SSDs on the SAS bus.

I wont know until i get the RAID controller itself (still waiting for deliver, about 5 weeks and counting), however if there is no spot to "add" keys for on board options then i would say CacheCade would not be an option (i am not hopeful based on the fact the IC is not listed anyway).

Thanks for looking.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello thanks for the clarification,

I don't think I quite got the idea before, sorry for that but now I do. We don't offer a software key for that, however, there is an alternate solution for that. Which is https://ark.intel.com/products/93844/Intel-RAID-SSD-Cache-with-Fast-Path-IO-Gen2 Intel® RAID SSD Cache with Fast Path I/O to enable the feature, this is a physical key that fits on the actual raid card, if I'm not mistaken for what I read about the software from MegaRaid I think this one is even better as it wont consume other server resources as processor and memory and since it's directly on the controller it performed somewhat better. here is some https://www.intel.la/content/www/xl/es/servers/raid/raid-ssd-cache.html documentation (manuals and back paper are at the end of the page), please check it up it may be a good solution and if it works for you, there is no waiting 5 weeks to know what to do.

I would like to know if this works better for you and sorry again for my confusion before.

Kenneth R.

Intel Customer Support.
0 Kudos
GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

This appears to be identical to CacheCade just a different name.

However the link you sent was for a product thats end of life the end of 2016, do you have a current part number for SSD Fast Path?

We have another issue, my first question was "does RMS3CC080 support CacheCade" with listed details from LSI (the chip manufacture)

This document page 29, connector JT5 https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/raid-products/12G_RAID_Controllers_UG.pdf https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/raid-products/12G_RAID_Controllers_UG.pdf

Says its :

Premium Feature Key Header

Enables support for select advanced features, such as Recovery, CacheCade, FastPath and Safestore disk encryption

I need part numbers for FastPath and CacheCade as clearly this RAID card does support it, LSI have asked me to talk with Intel to get the part numbers.

Many Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

As a matter of fact this technology is going to be retired in all platforms, meaning no new versions of it will be launched (at least for now) and according to http://ark.intel.com ark.intel.com, the only compatible one with your controller is the one mentioned before, that is why even as both controllers and keys were launched during similar periods of time the controller have a longer life spam, if you are interested in getting one of these they can still be found with technology providers, anyway, this options comes as an alternative to the solution you mentioned if the EOL status represents a limitation you still have the chance to test it out with the third part solution mentioned at the beggining.

Kenneth R.

Intel Customer Support.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

This goes as a follow up, Is here anything else you might need or is it ok to set this thread as closed?

Kenneth R.

Intel Customer Support.
0 Kudos
GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

Hi

Are you saying Intel part AXXRPFKSSD2 will fit RMS3CC080 to enable SSD Fast Path and CacheCade?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes, according to https://ark.intel.com/es/products/82029/Intel-Integrated-RAID-Module-RMS3CC080 ark.intel.com compatible products section for RMS3CC080, they are both compatible meaning it will fit in the expansion slot in the controller.

Ken
0 Kudos
GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

Hi Ken

Thanks, we will order this part, connect and test the feature to see if it gives the speed we think it should.

I we also found the same as you did, however it was hard to find as it appears to be the same product just "generation 2", at first we could only find details about the original generation and not the generation 2.

Many Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi (((GRIFFCOMM,

I'm glad to hear we have some clarity at last and sorry for the hassle, documentation is not the easiest thing in the world to come by. But we're constantly working to improve our knowledge base in order to present the information in an easy and simple matter, thanks for your feedback.

I'm setting the thread as closed for now to take the opportunity to send your comments upstairs so it can be addressed and corrected, if by any chance you received a follow up email after the related case is closed we will very much appreciate you to share your comments in regards to the product you're planning to purchase, its documentation and the service provided.

Should you need anything else please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards

Kenneth R.

Intel Customer Support.
0 Kudos