Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

R1208BB4GS9 will not boot

JCarl9
Beginner

I have a new R1208BB4GS9 server that I am building. Today I installed memory and CPUs and then tried to power up the system. The fans start to spin up and as they are really getting going, the system beeps 6 times. I never see any video. If I let it sit for a long time (several minutes) there will be a couple of clicks and then the system will beep 6 more times.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

I don't see a documented beep code with 6 beeps... Did it follow certain pattern? I mean long/short, high/low tone?

I'd start trouboeshooting with one CPU in slot 1 and one DIMM in A1. Check http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-033451.htm Processor Compatibility and https://serverconfigurator.intel.com/exalt/doc/S2400BBTHOL-Memory.pdf Memory Compatibility.

0 Kudos
JCarl9
Beginner

There is no pattern, it is six short beeps of the same tone. My processor and memory are both on the compatibility list and are what was recommended to me using the server configurator.

I did speak with tech support yesterday and I am being told that it is because my CPU is a Xeon E5-2403 and my memory is 1333mhz.

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

1333MHz DIMM should be able to work at 1066MHz...

Do you still get 6 beeps using only one CPU and one DIMM? Could you provide the sSpec# of your processor and model of your DIMM?

0 Kudos
JCarl9
Beginner

Yes, I do get the 6 beeps with only 1 CPU and Dimm. The sSpec# is SR0LS and the memory are Kingston KVR13E9/2I.

0 Kudos
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

That's definitely the right processor.

If you remove the DIMM and all USB devices and boot up, do you just get the three beeps?

0 Kudos
JCarl9
Beginner

I do get the correct beeps when I remove the DIMM.

On Tuesday, I determined that I had a defective motherboard. I received the replacement yesterday and plan on installing it later today.

0 Kudos