Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

RS2WC40 - Windows fails after BIOS Update

RTrac2
Novice

Hi, everybody: I was getting intermittant failure messages using an RS2WC040 card. The Intel RAID Web2 administration software gave me a Controller 0 failed and was reset error, but the system booted OK, and everything seemed to be fine. Except for that error that kept coming up on re-boot. The client was nervous, and rightly so, when a big red X comes up and says Controller failure. So I decided the best bet was to update the BIOS of the card.

Mistake.

I get almost up to the Windows 7 login screen, and I get a 0x7B blue screen (inaccessable boot disk)

I made sure before I UG'd the BIOS (from 4.20 to 4.35) that I went in to the BIOS setttings, wrote them all down, and after the apparently successful BIOS Flash, that they were all the same. (They are.)

Except that now I can't boot.

Safe Mode, Last Known Good config...no difference. Same BSOD.

Anyone got any answers short of a re-build? Please?

Motherboard is an Asus Sabertooth (sic) X79. Windows is Win 7- 64-bit

Thanks in advance. 040

0 Kudos
1 Solution
RTrac2
Novice

Problem POSSIBLY solved: I was going to flash the motherboard BIOS to a newer FW rev (3501 from 1104...hey, in for a penny...what could it hurt right? It worked so well last time!) but gave the existing EFI a good going over. In the Advanced menu on the Boot tab, I found a PCI ROM Priority setting. It was set to Legacy. The only other option was EFI-Compatible ROM. I selected that, and BINGO! I have a working system again! More importantly, a client off my back!

As for flashing the BIOS....nuh-uh....I'm not going near it. If it ain't broke, don't f*** with it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Ray,

Can you enter the Intel® RAID BIOS Console 2 Configuration Utility? The BIOS Console configuration utility provides a graphical user interface to manage the RAID subsystem and many features of the RAID controller. To access this utility, press + during system boot time.

What is the status of your RAID array there?

For details about this utility, see the http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-022358.htm Intel® RAID Software User's Guide.

Regards,

John

0 Kudos
RTrac2
Novice

Yes, I can get into the RAID BIOS console. It's version 1 though, I think: There's no clear indication of the version number of that software.

The Logical view shows Drive Group 0, RAID 1, VIrtual Drives Optimal (in green) and the backplane slots 0 and 1 are Online (green).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ray,

Can you do an operating system recovery and update the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22417&lang=eng&OSVersion=&DownloadType=Drivers RAID controller driver during that procedure?

John

0 Kudos
RTrac2
Novice

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: Got to the "System Recovery Options" screen and selected "Use Recovery Tools That Can Help Fix Problems Starting Windows" option. No OS was indicated in the selection box. Used Load Drivers, then drilled down to the Signed Drivers Win 7 x 64 (Windows 7 64-bit) and the megasas2 file that listed the Intel RAID Controller RS2WC040. Loaded that, which got me to the options. Fix startup gave me the dreaded "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically". Looking at the info it wanted to send, I got "Startup Repair Offline. Signature 1 + 2 were 6.1.7600.16385 (which I think is the Windows Version), Sig 3 was Unknown, 4 was -1, 5 was External Media, 6 was 1 and 7 was "Missing Boot Manager".

I'm a little unsure I got the right driver: each file in that cluster from the download listed a plethora ("Si, Guapo, a plethora!") of boards. Mine is an LSI board, but there's a sticker on it that says "Intel RAID RS2WC040 STWE21205402", so, I'm THINKING I'm using the right driver, correct?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The driver link above at the Intel https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22417&lang=eng&OSVersion=&DownloadType=Drivers Download Center is the correct driver and latest for the RS2WC040.

John

0 Kudos
RTrac2
Novice

OK...but I still get a 0x7b error when trying to boot, including safe mode.

0 Kudos
RTrac2
Novice

One other question: In the Ctrl-G menu, there is an option to use Factory Defaults. If I select that, would it destroy the RAID? Would it change anything?

0 Kudos
RTrac2
Novice

Problem POSSIBLY solved: I was going to flash the motherboard BIOS to a newer FW rev (3501 from 1104...hey, in for a penny...what could it hurt right? It worked so well last time!) but gave the existing EFI a good going over. In the Advanced menu on the Boot tab, I found a PCI ROM Priority setting. It was set to Legacy. The only other option was EFI-Compatible ROM. I selected that, and BINGO! I have a working system again! More importantly, a client off my back!

As for flashing the BIOS....nuh-uh....I'm not going near it. If it ain't broke, don't f*** with it.

0 Kudos