Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

Rebuild failed to star operation

EKgop
Beginner

Good day , I have hard drive failure on ESXi , started with beep alarm , when i noticed the hard drive had red light blinking running Raid 5 , I replaced the failure drive , then booted up in Bios control t-by drivers its saying unconfigured bad ,slot 3,When am trying to rebuild the drive i get the follow message:Failed to start operation. when i go to properties and try to make the drive good i still get message of :Failed to start operation. what can the issue be its on: intel raid controller rs25db080

0 Kudos
13 Replies
JoseH_Intel
Hello EKgop, Thank you for joining the community. It seems like the drive you replace is failed also. Have you tried another good known HDD? If you don't have a data backup please go ahead and do it. Will wait for your updates Regards. Jose A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
EKgop
Beginner

Hello Jose,

Thank you very much for feedback ,

I will be send the hard drive back to supplier,

I would like to find out is there a way that i can disable the beep alarm ,except via the Raid console ,when am using the console ,I silence the alarm which works but then i have to reboot the machine after power up the beep continues ,Its the maybe command that i can run to disable it

0 Kudos
Jeremias_A_Intel
Employee
Hello Ekgop, In an effort to better assist you, can you please confirm the following: Driver version in use at time of failure? Storage drive manufacturer? Firmware Version? Looking forward to your comments. Best regards, Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
EKgop
Beginner

Driver version in use at time of failure? 

:ST3146855SS

Storage drive manufacturer? 

Seagate Cheetah 15k

Firmware Version?

:Esxi 5.0.0

Looking forward to your comments.

0 Kudos
Jeremias_A_Intel
Employee
Hi Ekgop, Thank you for your update. Please let us know the outcome of trying a different disk from the one you installed recently, to discard that this disk is also defective. If you have any question, please let me know. Regards, Jeremiah A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
EKgop
Beginner

Good day Jeremiah,

Thanks for the follow up.

I did insert new disk , and The rebuild went successfully.

I would like to find out,what is the best program to use to monitor the hard drives..

0 Kudos
Jeremias_A_Intel
Employee
Hello Ekgop, I hope you are doing well today. I'm following up with you to confirm you were able to test the RAID configuration by testing it with a different disk from the one you use to replace the bad disk. Please let me know your results. Regards, Jeremiah A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Jeremias_A_Intel
Employee
Hi Ekgop, I happy to hear that the issue got resolved. In regards to a tool that can help to monitor the hard drives; you can use the Seagate SeaTools*. A comprehensive, easy-to-use diagnostic tool that helps you quickly see the condition of the disk drive. It includes several tests that examine the physical media on your Seagate or Maxtor disk drive, or on any other non-Seagate disk drive. You can download the tool from here: https://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/support-content/downloads/seatools/_shared/downloads/SeaToolsforWindowsSetup.exe If you have any question, please let me know. Regards, Jeremiah A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
EKgop
Beginner

Hi Jeremiah,

Thanks for update,

I used the seagate tool to diagnose the fault hard drives and for some odd reason ,all the drives passed the test ,Luckily my server has the red light that was flashing on it ,that made me to realize that the hard drive is faulty.

0 Kudos
Jeremias_A_Intel
Employee
Hi, We normally do not recommend third party tools, as we have not tested them all, So far we have tested the Seagate Tools. Regards, Jeremiah A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Jeremias_A_Intel
Employee
Hello Ekgop, I hope you are doing well today. I'm following up to see if there is anything else that we can assist you with, or if we can proceed in closing this case. Looking forward to your comments. Regards, Jeremiah A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
EKgop
Beginner
Hi jeremias. Thank you very much you can close the case.. Highly appreciated you all's help Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
0 Kudos
Jeremias_A_Intel
Employee
Hi, Thank you for your update. I will proceed accordingly. Regards, Jeremiah A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos