Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

S2600BPB - syscfg does not recognize "FAN PWM Offset"

sskamesh
New Contributor I

Hello all,

I'm trying to set FAN PWM Offset in this board. It used to work perfectly fine in S2600KPR without any issues. Now it says it does not recognize such BIOS variable. I cannot even find it in BMC web console. Although, I can set this in the actual BIOS screen itself.

Here is how I'm setting it which worked on S2600KPR

sudo modprobe ipmi_devintf; sudo /tmp/syscfg /bcs "" "System Acoustic and Performance Configuration" "Set Fan Profile" 1 sudo modprobe ipmi_devintf; sudo /tmp/syscfg /bcs "" "System Acoustic and Performance Configuration" "Fan PWM Offset" 50

After a reboot, S2600KPR would pick up and start ramping it up.

Can you please tell me why I cannot set it in S2600BPB? It throws below error

hostname: BIOS Variable 'Fan PWM Offset' not found hostname: Error: Invalid Value '100' of the BIOS variable 'Fan PWM Offset'

I even tried with syscfg -fan 1 50. It says "Successfully completed" but the FAN PWM is not ramping up at all. I flashed the super recent BIOS as well. I tried it with about 4 nodes. All results in same behaviour.

Help me!

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jeremias_A_Intel
Employee

Hi sskamesh,

We apologize for our late response.

There is a typo in the command you ran. Please use the following command:

syscfg /fan

You can confirm this information by checking the topic 4.4.26 Fan Settings (/fan) at the following link:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/server-boards/intel-syscfg-userguide-v1-03.pdf

Also, we will appreciate if you can please confirm the following:

• Is the latest version of syscfg running?

If not, you can download it from here https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29452?v=t

• Have you tried the Fan PWM Offset change in the BIOS setup? if so, what were the results?
  • Can you please send us the sysinfo log before the Fan PWM change and then the sysinfo log after the reboot with fan PWM changed?

We will be looking forward to your comments.

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
22 Replies
SergioS_Intel

Hello sskamesh,

Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support.

Can you please share with us what BIOS version are you currently running?

Additionally, please provide us a copy of your SysInfo log file.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023940/server-products/server-boards.html

Finally, can you please verify the settings are showing correctly within BIOS and if possible send us a screenshot?

As the first troubleshooting steps, please try the following:

1. Clear event log in the BIOS.

2. Load up the BIOS default settings.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

For firmware updates and troubleshooting tips, visit :https://intel.com/support/serverbios

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello sskamesh,

I am following your issue with the Intel® Server Board S2600BPB and we would like to know if you were able to get the information that we requested on the previous post.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

For firmware updates and troubleshooting tips, visit :https://intel.com/support/serverbios

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello sskamesh,

I am following your case and we would like to know if you were able to gather the BIOS version that you are currently running.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello sskamesh,

This message is to let you we are still waiting for your system BIOS version, please let us know if you need more assistance.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
sskamesh
New Contributor I

Apologies. Did not notice this mail in my inbox.

8 nodes were updated to SE5C620.86B.02.01.0011.032620200659. This was the latest one available in Intel website. Even after this, I was not able to bring the FAN PWM to action through syscfg.

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello sskamesh,

We appreciate the additional information, we are going to check on this information and get back to you as soon as possible.

Additionally, please install with syscfg /fan 1 50 from here https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29418/Save-and-Restore-System-Configuration-Utility-SYSCFG-for-Intel-Server-Boards-and-Intel-Server-Systems-Based-on-Intel-62X-Chipset

And provide us the SYSCFG information.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello sskamesh,

Can you please let us know if you are able to access the BIOS on one system at least after running the syscfg -fan 1 50 command and see if the PWM offset setting changes?

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
sskamesh
New Contributor I

Hey Sergio,

Right now, I cannot access them. I will let you know when I'm able to access them and provide you with the results and the configuration file that you asked.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello sskamesh,

No problem we do understand your situation, we will follow up on your case by the end of this month for any updates.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
sskamesh
New Contributor I

Hey @SergioS_@intel​ ,

Herewith, I've attached the syscfg.INI file. This is after updating the BIOS to SE5C620.86B.02.01.0011.032620200659 and setting up the syscfg -fan 1 50. But the actual fan flow is not increased yet. I could see over 90% CPU usage on both Platinum 8163 and the temperature is around 75 or 76 degrees. It hitting the Tj Max most of the time and reduces the frequency.

I can see that the FAN PWM is set after I set it through syscfg -fan 1 50 which is reflected in syscfg.INI file. But the issue is, it's not reflecting.

Let me know.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello sskamesh,

We appreciate the additional information, we are going to check it and will get back to you as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
Jeremias_A_Intel
Employee

Hi sskamesh,

We apologize for our late response.

There is a typo in the command you ran. Please use the following command:

syscfg /fan

You can confirm this information by checking the topic 4.4.26 Fan Settings (/fan) at the following link:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/server-boards/intel-syscfg-userguide-v1-03.pdf

Also, we will appreciate if you can please confirm the following:

• Is the latest version of syscfg running?

If not, you can download it from here https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29452?v=t

• Have you tried the Fan PWM Offset change in the BIOS setup? if so, what were the results?
  • Can you please send us the sysinfo log before the Fan PWM change and then the sysinfo log after the reboot with fan PWM changed?

We will be looking forward to your comments.

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

0 Kudos
sskamesh
New Contributor I

It gives me Successfully completed regardless of what I run with. /fan or -fan. Same result.

0 Kudos
sskamesh
New Contributor I

I'm indeed able to change the settings in BIOS which reflects perfectly fine. I will send you the log once I get access.

0 Kudos
Jeremias_A_Intel
Employee

Hi sskamesh,

Thank you for your update.

We will pending for the logs.

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello sskamesh,

We are following your thread and we would like to know if you were able to get the logs.

Best Regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello sskamesh,

We are following your thread and we would like to know if you were able to get the logs.

Best Regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello sskamesh,

We are following up on a case that is still open with the issue syscfg does not recognize "FAN PWM Offset", we know that this is important for you to get it resolved and it is also equally important for us to get you the right solution.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello sskamesh,

Best Regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
sskamesh
New Contributor I

Apologies for late response.

We were able to sort it out after resetting CMOS. We were doing memory upgrade. So, we did CMOS reset as well, during that time. So that sorted out the issue. syscfg /fan 1 50, did work.

Thanks!

0 Kudos