Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

S2600STB - BMC Settings for "Enable Host Interface"

Airbyte
Novice

intel6.png

I find the documentation not written in plain english, lacking necessary detail, and insufficient for understanding this section specifically ENABLE HOST INTERFACE. Please do anything differently than the documentation - be superfluous, explain other things related etc...

Thank you so much for you time. I sincerely appreciate it. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
IntelSupport

Hello Airbyte, 

Thank you for posting your question on this Intel® Community.

The BMC firmware provides a LAN failover capability such that the failure of the system hardware associated with one LAN link will result in traffic being rerouted to an alternate link.

This functionality is configurable through IPMI methods as well as through the BMC’s embedded user interface. BMC will support only an all or nothing” approach – that is, all interfaces bonded together, or none are bonded together.

The LAN Failover feature applies only to BMC LAN traffic. It bonds all available Ethernet devices but only one is active at a time. When enabled, If the active connection’s leash is lost, one of the secondary connections is automatically configured so that it has the same IP address (the next active LAN link will be chosen randomly from the pool of backup LAN links with link status as “UP”). Traffic immediately resumes on the new active connection.

Regarding the "Enable HOST Interface", I am currently trying to run some tests to provide additional details.

Please let me know if you have additional questions

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Airbyte
Novice

Thank you for your explanation of the LAN Failover. 

I am most excited to hear what the "Enable Host interface" explanation is. I am glad you don't know either and I'm guessing you noticed that the documentation is poor concerning this item too.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport

Hello Airbyte,

Thank you for your response.

"Enable HOST Interface" is most likely related to the dedicated network interfaces used for communication with the on-board NICs, but I would like to provide accurate information about it after doing further research.

Thank you for your feedback. It is highly appreciated.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello Airbyte,

Thank you for your patience.

Enable Host Interface

Host Interface is based on Ethernet over USB. It provides an interface between the host and BMC for communication that implements many functions, including iKVM (HID Mouse and Keyboard) and Virtual Media.

If Host Interface is not enabled yet, you must enable and save it. Then continue to set the host interface configuration.

Host Interface only supports Static IP and can only modify IP address and netmask.

You may click the "Help" button on the top right to get the description of this option as above.

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos