Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

S5000VSA ErrorCode8121 Processor 02 Thermal Trip Error Help to Solve

idata
Employee

Hello,

I have Intel server possessing mother board Sapello S5000VSA with two CPU DualCore Intel Xeon 5050, 3000 MHz. Recently, by replacement of my old server2003 system, I had to switch off the server several times. By one such switching off, one of the house lights turn from green to constantly red lighting and in Bios I have obtained the error note:

Error Code 8121 with explanation Processor 02 Thermal Trip Error. I left the server off without currency for ca 30h, but this doesn't help. 

Could you please advice me how to correct this error?

Thank you in advance, Andrej

6 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Check if your thermal solution is properly installed, and do a CPU retest in BIOS: Advanced => Processor Settings if I remember correctly

0 Kudos
KAMALANATH_N_Intel

hi Andrej,

Looks like you havent placed the processor correctly. Make sure you had placed heat sink correclty by applying some cooling paste.

which heat sink you have ? active one(with fan) or passive one(without fan)?

step 1 : Go to the BIOS and do "processor retest" then save and exit. and clear the SEL log

step 2: if issue persists then flash the latest BIOS,FRSUDR,BMC respectively

Hope Step 1 will resolve the issue.

Note: i have verified that Intel® Xeon® Processor 5050 are compatible in below boards.

/Product.aspx?id=46529 Intel® Server Board S5000VSA4DIMMR

/Product.aspx?id=46530 Intel® Server Board S5000VSASASR

/Product.aspx?id=46535 Intel® Server Board S5000VSASATAR/Product.aspx?id=46541 Intel® Server Board S5000VSASCSIR
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Andrej,

A thermal trip occurs whenever the processor temperature exceeds 100° C. Following a thermal trip, the processor automatically reduces frequency and voltage. It checks the temperature every millisecond, and returns to normal until the temperature falls to below 100° C.

Go into the bios, processor information, run a processor retest, save and exit.

If not fixed, follow the procedures below:

I will advise you to update the bios, bmc and sdr firmware to the latest one using a USB Dos Bootable Pen Drive.

How to make a Bootable USB: http://gocoding.com/page.php?al=bootflashdos http://gocoding.com/page.php?al=bootflashdos

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=17927&ProdId=2487&lang=eng Link

Please read the read me how to update the bios and bmc.

- Copy all extracted system update files to a bootable USB Disk-on-key device

- Verify processor(s) and memory DIMMs are installed in the system

- Plug in AC power cord

- Wait until Status LED stops blinking red/green (~30 seconds)

- Insert bootable USB Disk-on-Key into USB Port (Front or Rear)

- Power on system using "Power" button on Control Panel

At a DOS prompt update to BMC Firmware by running BMC65.BAT batch file

At a DOS prompt, Update the FRUSDR data by running the FSL43.BAT batch file. Make sure to choose the correct chassis model.

At a DOS prompt, update the system BIOS by running BIOS98.BAT batch file.

Once all the firmware has been updated correctly, Go into the bios, processor information, run a processor retest, save and exit.

Other than this, next steps will be to verify the sel log using the System Event Log Viewer and verify the release notes of the firmware if there is anything mentionned.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2305&DwnldID=17366&lang=eng http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2305&DwnldID=17366&lang=eng

Hope these are useful, Let us know how it goes.

If not fixed, post the sel log here.

Regards,

Aryan
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:238; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

Dear Aryan, Kamalanathan and Edward,

S5000VSA ErrorCode8121 Processor 02 Thermal Trip Error

I am very happy with your advice, the problem really has been in Bios that remembered the old situation where one of my CPUs was heated more as 100oC and reduced power.

Bios-Advanced-Precessor Retest has been Disabled. After I turn it to Enabled and Save-Exit the problem disappeared.

Thank you ones more for you kind and helpfull notes.

Sincerely yours, Andrej Bohac

0 Kudos
KAMALANATH_N_Intel

Glad to know that your issue is resolved.. and thanks for your updates.

happy working !

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

So much thanks to all of you. I too was having a same problem with my Intel (R) Xenon (R) CPU 1.6 GHz processor 1 version S5000

, with error code 8120 (processor 1 thermal trip) and it was too solved.

0 Kudos