Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

S5520HCT New install, two beeps, no boot, no post

JCove2
Beginner

Being New to the server world, I just finished installing a S5520HCT board and ran into the following issues;

1. The board will startup when the power is supplied to it, the power switch will not start the board or stop the board, it starts after it's energized by the power supply.

2. The board beeps twice and does nothing after that, no boot, no post, and the status led stays orange, though every once in awhile, the blue id led lights up.

3. The board beeps twice, even when there is no memory in the board at all, this seemed odd...instead of a steady pitch or 3 beep code.

4. Upon inspection of the memory, I ordered some that is one letter designation off of the compatible list, I have Samsung M393B1K70CHD-CH9, 8gb 2Rx4, And the closest and what I assumed was purchased is this Samsung M393B1K70CHO-CH9, 8gb 2Rx4, One letter off, but I misread the memory when I bought it, not sure if this is the problem, since even when no memory is installed, I get the same two beeps.

5. Not sure if my power supply is correct, maybe someone has an idea on this, as I understand the standby voltage could be a big deal here, or the ATX version this power supply conforms to.

This is the Equipment I have to run this;

Lian Li A71-F

Silverstone- zm1200m power supply, not sure if this standby voltage is correct, this was an extra power supply I had.

Noctua Coolers

Thinking it was a motherboard short or some other issue, I did the following to try and resolve this;

1. Moved memory sticks around and used different configurations.

2. I installed and uninstalled the video card, I used a small card, due to not having the correct cable for onboard video. Then took out the video card and the same two beeps.

3. Uninstalled and reinstalled the Cpu's, then I went to one of the two current, then to a single different cpu altogether.

4. Finally thinking there was a motherboard clearance problem, I uninstalled the mobo and started it up out of the case, with one cpu, one stick of memory.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
16 Replies
KL2
Valued Contributor I
0 Kudos
JCove2
Beginner

Well there is a pba number, but it doesn't correspond to any of those, but here it is..

pba e80888-554

Also the two cpu's I tried are as follows, Twin X5680's, single X5680, and single X5650

Thanks..

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello John,

Regarding your question, "S5520HCT New install, two beeps, no boot, no post ".

The memory models you provided (M393B1K70CHD-CH9 - M393B1K70CHO-CH9) are not on our compatibility list ( http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/s5520hc/sb/intelserverboards5520hcttholfinal12032013.pdf S5520 HCT – Compatible list ). That could be part of the problem.

Also, what model of CPU are you using? The http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/s5520hc/sb/e39529013_s5520hc_s5500hcv_s5520hct_tps_r19.pdf technical product support for this model, shows on page 2 or chapter 2.1, shows the compatible CPU's for this motherboard.

I see you have tested with only one CPU and only one memory stick and the same thing; the only thing I don't understand is about the correct cable for the onboard video.

This is a standard SVGA port, so you will be able to find SVGA to DVI converters.

Regarding the power supply, I was unable to find the pin layout for your power supply, but you can find the pin layout that you need for the motherboard on page 110 on the http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/s5520hc/sb/e39529013_s5520hc_s5500hcv_s5520hct_tps_r19.pdf technical product support.

Finally I will recommend to verify the CPU is compatible with the motherboard.

If there is anything else we can help please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
JCove2
Beginner

Well one of those models of memory is compatible and listed, but I mistook the "d" in one of those for an "o", but nonetheless, it still beeps the same two beeps regardless of memory population or if the memory itself isn't even in the board at all.

Concerning the cpu's I actually used two different models, both on the compatibility list, but not being able to start up the board, I'm unsure if the later model X5680 was put on the list by a bios update, therefore I used the other model X5650 to try as well. I am trying to get a couple of x5520 as we speak to try those in case of a earlier bios not supporting these other chips.

Being in a small town, believe it or not, no one has that adapter, they are currently out, so I am trying to find one from a friend to use the onboard vga...my monitor is hdmi only, two inputs...

I happened to find another power supply and tried it just to see and the exact same thing happened..though I am not sure of the compatibility of it either, at least it gave the same error, to at least alleviate a potential problem.

I found a stick of this from a local friend and its on the list ..Samsung M393B1 K70CH0- CH9 8GB this is listed on the bottom of page 36, but still the same problem, two beeps no post.

Not sure of where to go next, other than get a new board...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello John,

This is very weird, but I see that you had another thread open related to the same system board model. Are the two the same mother board or different.

If there is anything else we can help please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
JCove2
Beginner

Gize2, thanks for answering, as well as Henry, The system status led is Solid Amber, I have the 5v standby led and those are the only two that are lit. Thanks for those references..they help.

Not one of the post led lights up, just the status only...Oh ok, so the bios I have is supposed to work for both of those cpus..Well I know for sure the x5650 worked, I had just purchased the two x5680's...but the X5650 is in there currently, with the stick of memory in a single slot that is listed compatible with this board.

Henry this is the same board, I just had posted to the other thread, not being sure if you would see it, I posted this as well. I didn't open a new thread, just replied to the old one.

0 Kudos
JCove2
Beginner

I imagine this board is dead. I ordered another one since this seems to be going nowhere fast. Thanks for all the help and if you have any other ideas, I would be grateful to hear them.

Thanks again,

John C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello John,

I am afraid you are right, it sounds like a system board is dead. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help.

Best regards,

Henry A.
KL2
Valued Contributor I
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello John,

I am very glad the information that my self and Gize2 provided have resolve your questions. Thank you and have an excellent day. I will proceed on closing the discussion.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
JCove2
Beginner

Well I got the other board and am trying it out, as least this one goes through the status, though I am unable to figure out the code its stuck on, i'm sorry I don't understand the codes and how to read them. No matter what's in the system, single, double, no fans, different memory. The system continually won't post, the status is blinking amber, and the led diagnostics are up and going, though I am unable to figure it out, it is as follows;

the led's that are lit up are; 1,2,4,6,7 otherwise g,f,d,b,a...this is a constant that it ends up on, almost regardless of memory or processors, or otherwise...Keyboard? I have a usb hooked up...

Thanks for any help,

John C.

0 Kudos
KL2
Valued Contributor I

SammieC wrote:

the led's that are lit up are; 1,2,4,6,7 otherwise g,f,d,b,a...this is a constant that it ends up on, almost regardless of memory or processors, or otherwise...Keyboard? I have a usb hooked up...

The code is D6 or 0xD6: 0xDy -- (Boot Device Selection) "Trying boot selection y (where y = 0 to F)"

To me it sounds like it completed POST and is looking for a boot device? Does your monitor work? Is your VGA cable OK?

In the future, if you want to figure out the codes for yourself, they're in binary / hex.

For each LED that is on, give the LED a binary value (1 is on, 0 is off)

So from MSB LED (A) to LSB LED (H), your binary value would be:

1101 0110

LED Upper # :

A = 8

B = 4

C = 2

D = 1

LED Lower # :

E = 8

F = 4

G = 2

H = 1

Turns your binary code into:

Upper:

8+4+0+1 = 13 which in hex is D ( 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F )

Lower:

0+4+2+0 = 6

Place the two values side by side and you get D6.

The info is there in this PDF (Page 161), but it's not obvious how to use it if you aren't familiar with it: http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/s5520hc/sb/e39529013_s5520hc_s5500hcv_s5520hct_tps_r19.pdf http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/s5520hc/sb/e39529013_s5520hc_s5500hcv_s5520hct_tps_r19.pdf

Also, what is the 'System Status LED' doing? ('LED B' as described on Page 124 of the same document listed above).

JCove2
Beginner

Success!!!, it seemed the board was working correctly and from what you said it should post, so I tried an external video card and different cable, and it worked!!

The board not posting with the new adapter cable threw me and I in turn I thought the led's were showing a bigger problem than that, considering I got no post. So that made me take a closer look at the new adapter cable, that obviously is bad..

Also thanks for explaining the led's,

I appreciate the timely responses and layman's, aka "holding my hand", through these problems.

Thanks again Gize2!! Also to Henry!!

0 Kudos
KL2
Valued Contributor I

I'm glad I could help.

Those LED's have gotten me out of a few pickles before.

0 Kudos