Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

SS4200-E - Need help setting up first time - flashing blue power light.

idata
Employee

Hi - I just purchaesd a ss4200-e system. I put two drives in it, in bay 1 and in bay 2. The lights on the front of the box show a solid blue for drive 1 and a solid blue for drive 2. The network activity light is flashing blue, which I'm assuming means that it's able to detect network activity. The power light is also flashing blue.

When I run the Intel Storage System Setup Utility, it goes through a wizard, it says:

Sorry. Please confirm that all cables have been properly connected, your router is working properly, and the Intel Entry Storage System device has been turned on before clicking Next again.

Click the Retry button to try again.

Click the Back button to start the install again.

I read in the troubleshooting section that a flashing blue power light may mean that the drives may have a master boot record on them and that it will try to load from the mbr ahead of the emc. The help section says: the drives must contain no data and be clean of any boot sectors.

What does this mean? Will formatting the drive take care of this, do do you have to remove the partition all together.

Both drives are brand new. I did partition each drive and did a quick format on both.

I saw in the forums that someone said you could hold the reset button and press the power on for force it to boot from the emc instead of the mbr. When I do that, the power doesn't flash, instead it is amber, so I don't think that is correct.

4 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Remove all partitions on your hard drives and try again.

idata
Employee

Thanks Edward. I tried that earlier today, but it's still doing the same thing. I used the disk management tool in windows to remove the partition on both drives. Both drive lots are solid blue, but the blue power light flashes.

idata
Employee

Hi, i have the same problem. I have only an interim-solution:

you must press the reset-button at the backside of the ss4200 just beside the USB-connection. Hold the reset-button and press the

start-button again. The start button will flash orange. You can leave the reset-button and the system should run normally.

I am looking for a solution to avoid using the reset-button, but at the moment i don't know how to.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks. I tried pressing the reset button and power button at the same time. When I go through the hardware setup wizard, it still gives me the message:

Sorry. Please confirm that all cables have been properly connected, your router is working properly, and the Intel Entry Storage System device has been turned on before clicking Next again.

Click the Retry button to try again.

Click the Back button to start the install again.

I get the orange light, but mine doesn't flash like yours.

I read in the the forums that some systems were initially setup and tested with 4 drives, so if you are using just 2 bays, then the system may not boot up unless you hold the reset and power button at the same time. That might be your issue.

I think my issue may be that I'm running drives that are not on the approve list. It looks like based on the documentation, the largest drives that have been tested are 1 TB. I'm using 2TB drives. I saw in the forums that other people were able to get 2TB drives to work, so I figured I'd give it a try.

0 Kudos