Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

UEFI Intel RAID (RMS3CC080), stuck on "Driver Health" screen

GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

Hi, i have been playing with the RAID in the hardware (Server is in UEFI mode) (i have not lost data, only test systems). We cant get in to the BIOS due to the below, so how do we get out of this loop (without removing the RAID hardware card), there must be an answer that works to open the BIOS / RAID utility

Please see images:

We had CACHECADE setup (and still connected), now we have the below message:

"There are offline or missing virtual drives with preserved cache. Please check the cable and ensure that all the drives are present, Press any key to enter the configuration utility."

No matter what we enter (Y, N, C, R, F) the next screen says:

All Driver Health Status List !

0 Kudos
25 Replies
Henry_A_Intel
Employee

Hello (((GRIFFCOMM,

Thank you for your report on the RMS3CC080 RAID controller stuck on "Driver Health" Screen.

UEFI is a very advance controller and most of the build in tested for the RAID controller are not functional.

I will check and verify if there any type of health tester for the RAID and drives.

If there is anything else we can help please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Henry A.

0 Kudos
GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

Hi

Not worried about the health, what i am saying is, no matter when button is pressed it will not pass this screen, you cant access to the BIOS, can only reboot, get the warning, request an input then gets the health screen. How do you get in to the BIOS once this happens?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello (((GRIFFCOMM,

If the it is not passing this health screen I will try the BIOS update.

If the problem persists, this might cause the RAID configuration to be lost and also the Data.

Then will be to reset the BIOS to default and try the configuration one more time.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello (((GRIFFCOMM,

If the it is not passing this health screen I will try the BIOS update.

If the problem persists, this might cause the RAID configuration to be lost and also the Data.

Then will be to reset the BIOS to default and try the configuration one more time.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello (((GRIFFCOMM,

I just wanted to follow up if you continue to have problems with boot up.

Best regards,

Henry A.

0 Kudos
GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

I was unable to get past this screen with the "!" on it, i had to pull the CACHECADE SSD drive to get past that screen. It appears it found data in that drive, once it was on this screen i had to destroy all the RAID drives to get past it.

Data was lost (which was part of the whole test), so if ANY RAID array is remove or lost and CACHECADE was enabled then the CACHECADE drive group has to be deleted and removed completely to get past this health screen (from what i have found).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello (((GRIFFCOMM,

Thank you for the valuable information. Could you please provide me with HDD models been use and how they are setup. For example the HDD use for the CACHECADE and which HDD is been use for the RAID and typd of RAID.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

Hi

RAID drives would be Western Digital RED (all RAID 0 for testing at that time), the SSD CacheCade was a Kingston model. its working fine now its been reset, it appears there was data left in the cache when the drive was pulled (for testing) so as the complete RAID had gone, there seems to be "live, dead" data stuck in the Cache SSD

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello (((GRIFFCOMM,

Thank you for the valuable information. Yes, the CacheCade Drive is very crucial. This is like the memory cache BBC on some RAID controller, if this memory is damaged or if the information gets dame at this state will damage the metadata been save into each of the HDD from the RAID. This is why is recommended to use an SSD for the CacheCade because of the minimum percentage of failure.

Also, it is recommended to use the RAID controller Drivers instead of another manufacturer.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/82029/Intel-Integrated-RAID-Module-RMS3CC080 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/82029/Intel-Integrated-RAID-Module-RMS3CC080

Best regards,

Henry A
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello (((GRIFFCOMM,

I will like to follow up on your inquiry, to see if the information provided helped.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

not if once arriving at this screen all drives need to be removed, it appears the whole controller is then dead and needs all drives removed to work again (killing all RAIDs on this controller).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello (((GRIFFCOMM,

I will pass on the information to engineering for further information. Could you please help me with the OS Version been use and version and location of the drivers that are working.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

This was tested with VMWare ESXi v6.5 and Windows 10, the system has now been deployed with VMWare ESXi v6.5

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello (((GRIFFCOMM,

Thank you for the updated information.

Just one last question is the production system also running the CACHECADE SSD.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello (((GRIFFCOMM,

I just will like to follow up on the last question. Just one last question is the production system also running the CACHECADE SSD.

Have you try to run the setup without the CACHECADE SSD

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

To get past this screen we had to pull ALL the drives out. However doing this permanently destroys the RAID setups.

it appears once the CACHECADE is damaged ANY volumes using the CACHECADE are damaged, further internet reading from LSI seems to indicate this is as the CACHECADE drives stores data on them from the RAID array, even when its powered down.

I have however seen a setting in the RAID BIOS that asks about weather to stop on errors, pause on them or just ignore them. I am not in a position to test this, mostly as accounts wont allow me to spend time on testing hardware that should be documented from the manufacture (Intel and LSI / AVAGO / BROADCOM), this limits the amount of time i can put in to test these situations.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello (((GRIFFCOMM,

Thank you for the updated information. Could you please help me with the model of the HDD been use for RAID 0 and the model of the SSD for the CACHE.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

Hi

Western Digital RED drives for the RAID and Kingston SSD for the cache (i believe 300 series)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello (((GRIFFCOMM,

Thank you for the updated information. Let me double check the information because the problem could be the mixing of mechanical drives with SSD.

But I will double check and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello (((GRIFFCOMM,

Thank you for the updated information. Let me double check the information because the problem could be the mixing of mechanical drives with SSD.

Also, I am double checking the

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/raid-products/12G_RAID_Controllers_UG.pdf https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/raid-products/12G_RAID_Controllers_UG.pdf

On page 28 shows that for the use of CACHECADE, requires a Premium Feature Key header for the use of this option.

But I will double check and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos