Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

Ubuntu server drivers for 2600WT PWM controller?

Michael_L_Intel
Employee

What Linux drivers are available for the PWM fan controller on 2600WT boards? I ran sensors-detect followed by pwmconfig, but pwmconfig reports that "There are no pwm-capable sensor modules installed". I'm running Ubuntu 16.04.1 server. When I load the server heavily, the CPUs sometimes get throttled due to overheating. As a workaround, I configured the fans to always run at a high RPM in the BIOS, but that's very noisy.

7 Replies
Cesar_B_Intel
Employee

Hello Michael_LeMay_-_Intel,

The officially Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Server Board 2600WT according tohttps://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=2600WT Intel® Downloadcenter are: Windows Server 2008*, Windows Server 2012*, SUSE Linux* 12, Windows 7*, Red Hat Linux* 8, Windows 8*, Windows Server 2012 R2*, Windows Server 2008 R2*, Windows® 10*, Windows Vista*, Solaris* 4, Windows Server 2003*, CentOS 7*, Windows XP*, Windows Server 2016*.

As a workaround, you could get more information about controlling the Fans in https://www.ubuntu.com/ Ubuntu from

I would recommend making sure the firmware on your system is up to date https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26380/Intel-Server-Board-S2600WT-BIOS-and-Firmware-Update-for-Intel-One-Boot-Flash-Update-Intel-OFU-WinPE- Download Intel® Server Board S2600WT BIOS and Firmware Update for Intel® One Boot Flash Update (Intel® OFU), WinPE* and if it is already running Firmware v01.01.0019 then make sure you select the proper chassis configuration. Once the update is completed, you may go to BIOS > Advanced > Acoustics and Performance Configuration > and set the Fan profile to Acoustics. If you are on a different Firmware version also try setting the Fan profile to Acoustic. If that does not help, please let us know the Current firmware version you are running so we could provide instructions on how to update the Firmware on your Intel® Server Board 2600WT.

Please let me know of the outcome.

Regards,

Caesar B.

Michael_L_Intel
Employee

Hi Cesar,

It seems that the people in that thread you linked are trying to slow down their server fans, whereas I'm trying to get mine to speed up as the CPU heats up. Updating the firmware didn't help. The fans remain very slow even when the CPU temperatures are topping 90 degrees C.

Thanks,

Michael

idata
Employee

Hello Michael,

Are you using an Intel(R) Chassis in this configuration? Let me try the same command in our end to see if we get the same error. Keep in mind that we have the option "Fans-Off" that would enable/disable the monitoring done by the BMC.
Michael_L_Intel
Employee

Yes, I'm using a Wildcat Pass server. Regarding the BMC-related "Fans-Off" option, what setting would you recommend? My guess is that the BMC/firmware may be handing off fan control to the OS, but the OS does not recognize the fan controller device. So, is there some way to configure the BMC to retain control of the fans, even after the OS has booted?

0 Kudos
Cesar_B_Intel
Employee

Hello Michael_LeMay_-_Intel

You could try going to the BIOS-> Advanced -> System Acoustic and Performance Configuration -> Set Fan Profile to "Performance".

Please let me know if this works or improves the Fan's performance in your case?

Regards,

Caesar B.

0 Kudos
Michael_L_Intel
Employee

Hi Cesar,

Setting the fan profile to "Performance" does seem to help somewhat. I also adjusted the fan offset to run the fans faster. I think the system is adequately cooled now.

Thanks,

Michael

0 Kudos
Cesar_B_Intel
Employee

HelloMichael_LeMay_-_Intel ,

I am glad to hear the system is adequately cooled now.

Best regards,

Caesar B.

0 Kudos