Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4842 Discussions

VCA2 vca_create_windows_image powershell script error

CQCQN
Beginner

In lastest 2.3.26 version,the script(vca_create_windows_image.ps1) has too many errors to run.

For example,

at line 229, here the minus sign is replaced with a special character.

Mount-VHD �Path $output_full_path

it should be

Mount-VHD -Path $output_full_path

at line 314, there is an extra parameter '-PassThru' at the end

and when the script executes to line 326, it prompts that the null array cannot be indexed.

So I'd like to ask, is there a newer corrected script that wasn't released? Because converting iso to img with this script is the only way to make a windows baremetal image.

Raw file attach at below.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Allan_A_Intel

Dear CQCQN,

I would like to apologize for the issues you encountered with the VCA2 `vca_create_windows_image.ps1` PowerShell script. I understand your frustration, and I'll do my best to assist you in resolving the problems you mentioned.

Regarding the specific errors you mentioned:

- Special Character Issue: It seems that there might be a character encoding problem causing the special character error. To address this, please ensure that the script file is saved with the correct encoding, such as UTF-8. Additionally, try manually replacing the special character with a regular hyphen (-) to ensure it is recognized correctly.

- Extra Parameter and Null Array Error: I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. I will thoroughly investigate these issues further to gain a better understanding of their cause and the appropriate solutions.

Rest assured, I will work diligently to address these concerns and provide you with a suitable response as soon as possible. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Allan

CQCQN
Beginner

Thanks for your help.

Also, I don't know if my script file is the latest version, because the intelvisualcomputeaccelerator_build_scripts_2.3.26 and intelvisualcomputeaccelerator_windows_image_creation_package_2.3.26 which provide scripts in the official website have different sizes.

At the same time, I can't confirm whether there are other errors after line 326.

If you or your colleagues decide to fix the file, please confirm the availability of the entire script.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
CQCQN
Beginner

Is there any progress? If company's engineers can't handle it, please let me know, I will use other solutions to construct the windows subsystem. Thank you for your efforts.

0 Kudos
Allan_A_Intel

Hello CQCQN,

Thank you for reaching out to us and sharing your concerns about the progress of your issue. We understand how important it is for you to have a smooth experience, and we appreciate your patience and trust in our company.

To assist you further, we kindly request some additional information. Could you please provide us with the version of Windows you are currently using when encountering the script error? This information will help us determine the best course of action to resolve the issue.

If you are not using Windows Server 2016, we recommend verifying if your system meets the requirements for running Windows Server 2016. Compatibility with the specific Windows version can sometimes play a significant role in resolving script-related errors. Please let us know if your system is capable of utilizing Windows Server 2016 for running the script.

Once we receive the requested information, we will be better equipped to assist you further. We value your business and are dedicated to providing you with a positive customer experience.

Thank you once again for your understanding and cooperation.

Best regards,

Allan A.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
CQCQN
Beginner

Hi,

Today I deployed a Server2016 system and the error is still showing on line 326, same as windows10.

0 Kudos
CQCQN
Beginner

and this is my param setting in ps1 files, might be helpful for your investigation.

param(
[string]$iso = '.\zh-cn_windows_10_business_editions_version_22h2.iso',
[string]$output_dir = (Join-Path $pwd.path -ChildPath 'out'),
[string]$mount_dir = (Join-Path $pwd.path -ChildPath 'mount_dir'),
[string]$tmp_dir = (Join-Path $pwd.path -ChildPath 'tmp'),
[string]$driver_dir ='.\VCA_Windows_drivers',
[string]$vcagent_dir= '.\VCAgent',
[string]$answer_file ='.\answer_files\WIN10\AutoUnattend.xml',
[string]$dism_path = 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\x86\DISM\dism.exe',
[string]$vca_image_version = '0.0.0',
[string]$gfx_drv_dir='.\gfx_win_101.2115\Graphics',
[string]$win_edition = 'Business',
[string]$netkvm_drv_dir,
[string]$virtualbox= 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe',
[string]$xen_driver_dir,
[string]$openssh_dir,
[string]$boot_part_type = 'GPT',
[string]$zip_img = 'vca_windows_baremetal.zip',
[long]$vhd_size = 64GB
)

0 Kudos
CQCQN
Beginner

Well,I may need other help, because only the driver vca2 integrated in IMSS(intel media server studio) 2017 can be installed normally.

1.png2.png

But the official website of intel does not provide support, (the current version is MediaSDK2018 but does not integrate the driver), so could you provide me with a copy IMSS2017 installation file?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Allan_A_Intel

Dear CQCQN,

Thank you for providing me with the information and your recent update. I truly appreciate your efforts in keeping me informed. 

I wanted to let you know that I have received the new information you shared. I will now take some time to thoroughly review it. Rest assured, I will get back to you as soon as I have completed my review. 

Once again, thank you for your prompt response and for keeping me in the loop. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated. 

Best regards,

Allan A.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Allan_A_Intel

Hello CQCQN,

According to Intel Product Change Notification No. 117586-00, the Intel® Visual Compute Accelerator VCA1585LMV reached its end of life in 2020, and engineering support is no longer available. You can find more details in the notification here: https://qdms.intel.com/dm/d.aspx/4AAE3E5B-103C-4770-A142-655D06204C1B/PCN117586-00.pdf.

Unfortunately, this means that there won't be any further updates to the script. We understand that this may not be the outcome you were hoping for, and we apologize for any frustration or inconvenience caused.

Regarding your question about Intel® Media Server Studio, I recommend reaching out to the Intel Community supporting Media for further assistance. They have a dedicated forum where experts can provide guidance and address your specific inquiries. You can find the Intel Community supporting Media here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-media-sdk.

We appreciate your understanding and patience. If you have any more questions or need further assistance, please feel free to ask. We're here to help!

Best regards,

Allan A.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos