Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4776 Discussions

how to troubleshoot warning light on SE7520BD2

idata
Employee

I have an Intel server SE7520BD2 and there is a warning light on the front of the server. The server boots up into Windows 2003 with no problems (I haven't been in front of the server to see if there are any messages at boot up) and functions normal. I am worried that it could escalate if I don't find what the warning means

Does anyone have any advice on how to find what is causing the light to appear.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi there,

Firstly, use a utility called System Event Log Viewer:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&Inst=Yes&ProductID=1658&DwnldID=7470&strOSs=5&OSFullName=DOS&lang=eng

This tool will give a report and sometimes you may find your answers in it.

You will need to create a USB DOS Bootable Stick.

More help how to create one: Go to the link:

http://gocoding.com/page.php?al=bootflashdos

Update the board firmware:

Before doing any update:

Make sure you identify your board correctly.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/cs-021067.htm

From the website, if you have a pba number starting with Cxxxxx then it must be the ddr266/333 else Dxxxxxx will be the ddr2-400 board.

Now when the warning led is amber, it can be due to:

1. Wrong system fans are connected on the board.

2. Incompatible chassis and wrongly configured SDR.

3. Compatible chassis with a wrongly configured SDR

4. Hardware failure

I will personally try to check if the chassis is on the compatibility list and the system fan headers are correctly connected and then update the following:

Hope these are useful,

Regards,

Aryan
0 Kudos
KAMALANATH_N_Intel

Agree witih the Aryan! SEL event will gives you the clear message.

BTW, do you see amber light blinking or its litting continously ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the info. I will download the tool and see what information it gives me.

Also, the fans are extemely loud, so I am guessing that it is either wrong fans or possibly not seated correctly. The fans are still working just making a lot of noise.

The amber light is lit constantly.

John

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ok I have ran the selview app and seen the logs and I can see there are some critical errors but am not sure what to do next. I have attached the log file. Is there any chance someone can review and advise what to do next.

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Reading the log files it seems the FRU/SDR is not properly programmed... Which chassis are you using? You may need to identify your board, chassis, make sure fans are properly connected, and apply latest BIOS/firmware.

0 Kudos
KAMALANATH_N_Intel

hi John,

Looks like all critical events are associated with FAN's.

can you please do the following and let us know the results.

1. Ensure you have connected the FAN cable in the appropriate pins.( please refer BD2 board)

2. update the latest BIOS ( reset)

3. Restore the system defaults.

4. update the FRUSDR ( select appropriate chassis type while updating the FUSDR)

5. Update the BMC f/w.

Hope it will resolve your issue.

Let me know if you have any questions.

0 Kudos