Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

APK Parse Error - There is a problem parsing the package.

Fabio_X_
Beginner

Hi all,

I read this forum since a couple of months and I always find a solution to all my Intel XDK related problems, thanks to you guys. This time, though, it seems it has come the time I write here asking for your advice.

I came across the "infamous" "Parse Error" problem, and all the causes/solutions I found in the forum didn't help... I'm really stuck.

To make it short: I have an app made with Intel XDK available on both Google Play and App Store (so, compiled for Android and iOS). I compiled and published the last version of the app in July, then I did no changes until yesterday.

Yesterday I open Intel XDK, and it asks for update, so I update it (to build 2611). I open the project and migrate it to project version 2.0, then  I change a couple of line of codes. Everything looks fine in the emulator (yeah, I know that doesn't mean anything) and during the Android build... but once I download the app on my device it just wouldn't open, giving me the "Parse error" issue.

I removed the new code - nothing changed.

I removed Intel XDK 2611 and re-installed  version 2366 (thus, project version 1.2). I reopened the old version of the project and compiled it.

Now, since that exactly the code in production right now, with same project version too (not even a byte different!) I was supposing it to run but... nope. "Parse Error".

I hoped it was something wrong with the Intel compiler and waited 24h but the problem is still there... what can I do?

How can a code that was running perfectly just...stop running like this?

HEre is the short log:

Build Log:
  • Building a Cordova 4.1.2 application.
  • The application name is "Ultradent IT"
  • The package name is "com.phonegap.prodottiultradent"
  • Preference android-signed set to false. Application will not be signed.
  • Plugin "org.apache.cordova.device" (0.2.13) installed.
  • Plugin "org.apache.cordova.splashscreen" (0.3.5) installed.
  • Plugin "org.apache.cordova.inappbrowser" (0.5.4) installed.
  • Plugin "org.apache.cordova.statusbar" (0.1.9) installed.
  • App name updated to [Ultradent IT]
  • Updated "minSdkVersion" with "14"
  • Updated "targetSdkVersion" with "19"
  • Updated "installLocation" to "auto"
  • Added "screenOrientation" to "portrait"
  • Updated "versionCode" to "200"
  • Updated "versionName" to "2.0.0"
  • Added "debuggable" to "false"
  • The application will not be signed.

Here you can download the detailed build log ( https://www.dropbox.com/s/p1e5hsclufot2bs/buildlog.txt?dl=0 ) and here the apk ( https://www.dropbox.com/s/siws8dccytxdocg/app.zip?dl=0 ;)

Thank you in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Fabio, glad you found the problem. There is an odd issue with the signed flag that sometimes shows up during an upgrade. We expect to have that fixed in a future release.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Fabio, in order to get some more diagnostic info regarding this problem, could you share a copy of your <project-name>.xdk_bak file that is stored in your project directory? You can share it via a private message.

0 Kudos
Olga_V_
Beginner

I've upgraded the Intel XDK to the new version 3088 and I can't get valid apk. When signed project I get "App not installed" error, when I build not-signed project I get "Parse error There was a problem parsing the package". (I've tried to build new projects and old projects converted to CLI 5.4.1)

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Olga -- only signed APKs can be installed on a device, even if you are only side-loading for testing.

What version of Android are you attempting to install onto? There is a signing issue in the build system that prevents good builds from installing on devices. See this post for details > https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-xdk/topic/622990

0 Kudos