Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Ask for the meaning of the "serialization"

ajsniperwyc
Beginner
Hello,everyone, I am reading the Itanium manual, there is a word "serialization" in chapter 3. Is it means that write the value of the register to the memory to avoid mistake during thecomputation, I am sorry that my english is not well!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Intel_Software_Netw1
Greetings from Intel Software Network Support.
It appears that this question is in reference to the Intel Itanium Processor Software Development Manual: Vol. 2,System Architecture, section 3.2:Serialization.
We are asking members of our engineering team to help come up with a simpler explanation of serialization, and will post it here when it is available.
Regards,
Lexi S.
Intel Software Network Support

Message Edited by intel.software.network.support on 11-15-2005 11:36 PM

0 Kudos
Intel_Software_Netw1
Searching on "define:serialization" in Google*, a number of definitions come up, notably this onefrom Wikipedia*:

In computer science, serialization means to force one-at-a-time access for the purposes of concurrency control, or to encode a data structure as a sequence of bytes. The opposite operation, to extract a data structure from a series of bytes, is deserialization.

This latter form of serialization (which is also referred to as marshalling) involves taking a data structure or object and encoding it into a regular and usually architecture-independent form, suitable for archiving to a file, piping to another application, or, by extension, transmission across a network. Usually the encoding takes the form of a byte stream (a sequence of bytes). When receiving a serialized stream, the encoding process is reversed to get a copy of the original data structure.

==
Lexi S.
Intel Software Network Support

Message Edited by intel.software.network.support on 11-15-2005 11:36 PM

0 Kudos