Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Automatic Plugin Imports?

Geoff_B_
New Contributor I

So I scoured the plugin docs and didn't see any mention of doing something like this.  

I was wondering if there was a way to have XDK automatically import the plugins listed in the config files when you imported a project.  I work on a team and am trying to get an environment set up where anyone can just check out the XDK project and load it.  Unfortunately we can't do this currently without including all the plugin files in the commit.  Obviously that's not optimal.  It would be great if it automatically queried the imported config files and downloaded the necessary plugins. Is that currently possible?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Elroy_A_Intel
Employee

Plugins are added to your projects based on the configurations dictated in the .xdk file. Based on these configurations, the appropriate plguins will be added to your project when it is built for the respective platform via the Build Tab. You can share your project directory with someone else and they will have the ability to build the project with the plugins denoted in the .xdk file.

I recommend making updates to your project's plugin configuration via the Project Tab only.

0 Kudos
Geoff_B_
New Contributor I

Interestingly, I tried again and realized I had to delete the plugins folder XDK creates automatically.  Once I removed that, I could import the project and the plugins were automatically downloaded.  Guess there must have been a conflict somewhere. 

Thanks for the quick response.  

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Just exclude the plugins directory inside your project using the .gitignore file and that will insure that your commits don't include those plugins. Then, anyone that does a git fetch of the project will get the plugins stored in the project.xdk file. NOTE: the project.xdk file is not designed to be "shared" back and forth between developers on the same project, you might see some inconsistencies if one developer changes some build settings and then commits the project.xdk file and someone else then pulls those changes. Also, the project.xdk file is cached in memory and is only written to disk when you switch projects, use the Sync button on the Test tab or perform a build with the Build tab (there may be a few other sync points). So be careful with that file and your git system...

0 Kudos
Geoff_B_
New Contributor I
Yup, I did that. That's OK if it's not perfectly in sync, it's just a matter of making sure other people can import the project when necessary. I'm really the only one that will need it, it's just good to have backups. Thanks for the response.
0 Kudos