Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Cannot start Intel XDK in ubuntu 12.04

Arjun_k_1
Beginner

I installed Intel XDK in ubuntu 12.04 (32 bit). But i cannot start the XDK by clicking the Icon.. The s/w is not starting

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Carlos_L_1
Beginner

Hi,

I had the same problem with Intel XDK Iot , the first time you install it ran great. But , when you restart my Ubuntu 14.04 , I could not restart the Intel XDK IoT , what I did was uninstall the Intel XDK Iot and remove all folders XDK (The process of installation and uninstall did with "sudo " ) . But now unzipped package intel XDK iot from the file manager without using the terminal and run ./install.sh (without " sudo" ), and now restart my computer and is executable and the XDK IoT and everything works great.

I hope that helps .

Happy coding .

Cheers.! :)

Carlos Linares.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
45 Replies
Thomas_V_1
Beginner

I had this problem lang time ago. check if you have xdk running with ps -e and look for xdk.sh and nw. Kill them and try the script again. 

Then make a new icon with the path to xdk.sh. Add the icon named "intel-xdk". 

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Alison, thank you for the feedback, I'll forward these posts to engineering.

Vito, there may be a proxy issue that is causing your login issue. There have also been occasions where the login server does not respond. Usually those only last an hour or two. Does it continue to not work? What happens if you try using a different machine or try logging in from a different network?

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Alison, I have not seen any notices today regarding our login services, and I haven't noticed any issues when I've logged in, today. Are you seeing this login problem consistently or just once in a while?

0 Kudos
Arjun_k_1
Beginner

New version (2611) also not solving my problem...

0 Kudos
Anatoly_T_
Beginner

Hey guys, I've been having same issue with XDK on ubuntu 15.10, then I found that "sudo ./xdk.sh" is actually working as you suggested here, so I figured - it's a permissions problem. I looked over my home folder and found that .pki and .dbus were owned by root so i ran:

sudo chown -R myuser:myuser ~/

and now everything works fine. I hope it helps. please replace myuser with your actual username.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Anatoly -- thank you for that sleuthing! I will let engineering know what you uncovered.

0 Kudos
Arjun_k_1
Beginner

sorry to say that your workaround is also not working for me.

0 Kudos
Michael_R_6
Beginner

@Anatoly I think you are onto something because I noticed running `ls -l ~/.config` that the directories `XDK` and `XDK-wrapper` were both owned by root which could prevent the application from running when started by a regular user. Also other people have stated that re-installing as `user` rather than `sudo` or `root` solved their trouble, others it did not. I was one of the unlucky few.

While it is safe to recursively chown your own home directory I only ran chown on the XDK directories and then did the following steps which seem to have me back running again. At first just changing the permissions did not fix the problem though. I'm not claiming this to be a fix all but it is what has me up and running for the time being. I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 and had not been able to start XDK since yesterday (October 26, 2015). 

# Change ownership of home directory XDK items in ~/.config directory.
sudo chown -R ${USER} ~/.config/XDK*

# uninstall XDK, the ~/.config directory should remain I believe.
cd /opt
sudo ./intel/XDK/uninstall.sh
sudo rm -r intel/XDK

# optionally reboot and then download latest XDK.

# ok, so now I did another reinstall using sudo 
# (I used more commands than needed here, you probably don't have to mv and cd to /tmp).
cd ~/Downloads
tar -xvzf xdk_web_linux64_master_2611.tgz
sudo mv xdk_web_linux64 /tmp
cd /tmp
sudo ./xdk_web_linux64/install.sh

Ok, after the install was completed I checked off "run XDK" and then clicked finished install button. Nothing happened. So I rebooted and as suggested above launched XDK using:

sudo /opt/intel/XDK/xdk.sh

At first it seemed nothing happened, then 15 seconds later the XDK launched! 

I don't want to always launch this way. So with the window still open, I launched intel XDK via dash home menu launcher icon. Tap [Super] then type "intel" and click the application icon.

A second version of the XDK opened with an option to safe restart to which I clicked "yes - safe restart".Screenshot of the 2 XDK instances running

For the time being it seems that I have XDK working. I will post later if anything changes.

This took about 5 uninstalls and re installs to fix and at the current time I can't even say for sure that it is fixed. But I am for the moment able to open up the XDK.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

FYI, engineering is trying to find a resolution to this problem, for the next release. All the info being provided here is being forwarded to their attention. Thank you for your help in (hopefully) resolving this issue!. :)

0 Kudos
Arjun_k_1
Beginner

above given solution not working for me.

0 Kudos
Michael_R_6
Beginner

Just as an update my XDK is working still. Everytime it starts it seems to ask if I want to Safe Restart and I say yes.

Good luck to everyone else. Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Arjun_k_1
Beginner

any update???

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Arjun, engineering is still working on this issue. When the issue is resolved you will see mention of it in the release notes for the version that fixes it.

0 Kudos
Mateo_G_Intel
Employee

Hi everyone, 

There is a permission problem when XDK is installed as "sudo" leaving the installer option "Launch Intel(R) XDK" selected.

The first time XDK runs in this scenario, it creates the folders ~/.config/XDK and ~/.config/XDK-Wrapper owned by root so next time XDK is executed as a regular user it will not have permissions on those files and will fail.

So the workaround until next release is to change the ownership of those folders as @Michael R. pointed.

# change ownership of user files
sudo chown -R ${USER} ~/.config/XDK*

And run XDK as regular user (using Launch icon or command line)

# run xdk
~/intel/XDK/xdk.sh 

If this does not fixes your problem, please try the following: 

#Uninstall XDK 

# if installed as sudo
$ sudo /opt/intel/XDK/uninstall.sh
# if installed as user
$ ~/intel/XDK/uninstall.sh

# Remove installation folders, if they still exist
$ sudo rm -rf /opt/intel/XDK
$ rm -rf ~/inel/XDK

# Install XDK 
$ sudo <installer-path>/install.sh

# Unselect "Launch Intel(R) XDK" option in the installer wizard

# Run XDK as regular user (either from Launch Icon or command line)
$ /opt/intel/XDK/xdk.sh

Please, let me know if this fixes or not the problem.

-

0 Kudos
Arjun_k_1
Beginner

i have tried your steps but it is not working for me.

0 Kudos
Arjun_k_1
Beginner

any update?????

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Arjun, have you completely uninstalled the XDK and downloaded and installed the latest release (from earlier this week). Version 2673 was released two days ago. The issue we could identify was fixed in that release. See this FAQ for information on how to uninstall: https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/faqs/general#uninstall-xdk

0 Kudos
Arjun_k_1
Beginner

i get the following error when i run xdk. please help.......

[5332:1113/131536:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(162)] Running without the SUID sandbox! See https://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/LinuxSUIDSandboxDevelopment for more information on developing with the sandbox on.
LaunchProcess: failed to execvp:
/opt/intel/XDK/bin/nw
LaunchProcess: failed to execvp:
/proc/self/exe
[5332:1113/131536:ERROR:child_process_launcher.cc(344)] Failed to launch child process
[5332:1113/131536:INFO:dispatcher_host.cc(157)] [NW.JS]RenderProcessGone
[5332:1113/131536:ERROR:channel.cc(316)] RawChannel read error (connection broken)

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Arjun, I think there is something missing on your system. The sandbox feature that is missing is something that is missing from your system. It is a system-provided service that the underlying Chromium runtime requires. This is not something that can be provided with the XDK, it is an element of your OS installation. I'm wondering if you installed your Ubuntu with some unusual settings?

0 Kudos
Arjun_k_1
Beginner

how can we solve this????

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Arjun, can you try installing Ubuntu on a different system, but do a complete standard install and see if the XDK works on that system? We have not seen the issue you are describing reported by anyone else and are unable to reproduce your symptoms. So we need you to try something different, otherwise we have nothing to go on.

0 Kudos