Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Cannot start profiling with Performance Analyser

Colin_Ward
Beginner
I just downloaded a trial version of the Performance Analyser and followed the instructions for installing it, including giving it the .lic file that was sent to me, and although I can run it I cannot start profiling an application. When I try to create a "Quick performance analysis wizard" I get a dialog box with the message "Not able to connect to the license server for Intel VTune Performance Analyser."

Trying to install the FLEX server that came with it resulted in similar problems. I have also tried using the serial number that was sent to me when I registered, to no avail.

I checked my firewall but cannot see any connections being blocked.

There is nothing in the instructions I received apart from giving the installer my .lic file that indicate I am doing anything wrong.

Can anyone help? I am trying to test VTune with an eye to a possible purchase but initial impressions aren't good. :-( This is very difficult software to get running.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Shamla_P_Intel
Employee
Greetings,

Which Windows Version are you using? Is it Windows 7 ?

Also what are the license files you have under Program FilesCommon FilesIntelLicenses ?

What architecture is your system?

Thank You
Shamla
0 Kudos
Shamla_P_Intel
Employee
2 more questions

Are you using Remote agent?

Did you install Thread profiler?

0 Kudos
Shamla_P_Intel
Employee
Hi Again,

I tested your serial number on my Windows XP system. I did the following.

1) I didn't have any previous version of Vtune installed on my IA32 system.
2) I downloaded VTune Performance Analyzer for Windows* 9.1 Update2-210
3) I didn't download the remote agent or Intel Thread Profiler for Windows*
4) I launched the downloaded vtune91_002_win.exe
5) I gave the serial number during the install.( I am connected to Internet.)
6) I accepted license agreement.
7) The install completed.
8) I went to Start->All Programs->Intel Development Tools ->Intel Vtune TM Perf Analyzer -> launched Intel Vtune TM Perf Analyzer
9) When it was opening, it gave me a dialog box saying I am using an evaluation license.
10) Once done I chose Quick Performance Analysis Wizard and in Application to Launch browsed to an exe on mys ystem.
11) It started the analysis by launching the application I chose.

Is this the process you followed?

Did you do anything different?

Thank You
Shamla
0 Kudos
Colin_Ward
Beginner
Quoting - Shamla (Intel)
Hi Again,

I tested your serial number on my Windows XP system. I did the following.

1) I didn't have any previous version of Vtune installed on my IA32 system.
2) I downloaded VTune Performance Analyzer for Windows* 9.1 Update2-210
3) I didn't download the remote agent or Intel Thread Profiler for Windows*
4) I launched the downloaded vtune91_002_win.exe
5) I gave the serial number during the install.( I am connected to Internet.)
6) I accepted license agreement.
7) The install completed.
8) I went to Start->All Programs->Intel Development Tools ->Intel Vtune TM Perf Analyzer -> launched Intel Vtune TM Perf Analyzer
9) When it was opening, it gave me a dialog box saying I am using an evaluation license.
10) Once done I chose Quick Performance Analysis Wizard and in Application to Launch browsed to an exe on mys ystem.
11) It started the analysis by launching the application I chose.

Is this the process you followed?

Did you do anything different?

Thank You
Shamla

Hi Shamla.

No, I didn't do it like your instructions because my firewall blocked access to your server when I tried entering my serial number during installation. So instead I gave the installer the .lic file that I was sent when I registered. According to the installation instructions this should work as well. It seemed to accept this and I can then launch the Permance Analyser successfully, but it is when I go to the "Quick Performance Analysis Wizard" that it then gives me the error about not being able to connect to the license server.

For what it's worth, when starting the Performance Analyser it just starts quietly. It doesn't give me any message about using an evaluation version like you get.

I have tried both with and without installing the thread profiler, but it makes no difference.

I am not using the remote agent.

There is a FLEXlm server in my Intel Software Development Tools start menu folder but starting that requests a license file and it won't work with the one I was sent. It's not obvious from the install instructions whether I am supposed to use this server or not. It is also not obvious whether VTune is trying to connect to this local installation or a remote one. It's a very confusing licensing system.

I am using Windows XP and the license files in my Program FilesCommon FilesIntelLicenses are the ones that were E-Mailed to me (I tried registering twice, once from my work account and once from my personal account).

Installing VTune and getting it to work seems to be more difficult than profiling my code!!!

Thank you for any tips you can give. I really was hoping that VTune would be useful to me.

Colin.

0 Kudos
Shamla_P_Intel
Employee
Hi Colin,

Good Morning.

I am trying to figure out how the Intel flexlm license manager got installed. Have you installed any other Intel SW product onthis system ?

Could you please try these steps?

1) Please uninstall any version of Vtune TM or Thread profiler or even Intel Flexlm license Manager installed on your system.
2) Delete all licenses except the relevant license from the licenses folder. (Please do a full search to see if you have any other .lic hiding in other folders.)
3) download VTune Performance Analyzer for Windows* 9.1 Update2-210
4) launch the downloaded vtune91_002_win.exe
5) Provide the full license path including the license file name during the install.
6) Accept the license agreement.
7) Is the install complete? You shouldn't see any license manager installed.
8) Go to Start->All Programs->Intel Development Tools ->Intel Vtune TM Perf Analyzer -> launch Intel Vtune TM Perf Analyzer
9) Does it give you a dialog box saying you are using an evaluation license.
10) Chose Quick Performance Analysis Wizard

Does it work?

If it doesn't, I will have to setup a meeting with you, to see the same on your system.

Thank You
Shamla
0 Kudos
Colin_Ward
Beginner
Quoting - Shamla (Intel)
Hi Colin,

Good Morning.

I am trying to figure out how the Intel flexlm license manager got installed. Have you installed any other Intel SW product onthis system ?

Could you please try these steps?

1) Please uninstall any version of Vtune TM or Thread profiler or even Intel Flexlm license Manager installed on your system.
2) Delete all licenses except the relevant license from the licenses folder. (Please do a full search to see if you have any other .lic hiding in other folders.)
3) download VTune Performance Analyzer for Windows* 9.1 Update2-210
4) launch the downloaded vtune91_002_win.exe
5) Provide the full license path including the license file name during the install.
6) Accept the license agreement.
7) Is the install complete? You shouldn't see any license manager installed.
8) Go to Start->All Programs->Intel Development Tools ->Intel Vtune TM Perf Analyzer -> launch Intel Vtune TM Perf Analyzer
9) Does it give you a dialog box saying you are using an evaluation license.
10) Chose Quick Performance Analysis Wizard

Does it work?

If it doesn't, I will have to setup a meeting with you, to see the same on your system.

Thank You
Shamla

Hi Shamla.

Ok, I have found the problem. My company uses the FLEX license server for other programs and there was an environment variable in my system called LM_LICENSE_FILE. When I removed this, VTune was able to run!

You might want to give this feedback to the licensing/installer team - you can't assume that VTune is the only program to use FLEX. Come companies will have other software installed that uses the FLEX licensing server. The installer should detect that this (and possibly other) environment variables are already set and warn the user that this might cause VTune to not run successfully, giving instructions on how to work around the problem.

Colin.

0 Kudos
Shamla_P_Intel
Employee
Quoting - Colin Ward

Hi Shamla.

Ok, I have found the problem. My company uses the FLEX license server for other programs and there was an environment variable in my system called LM_LICENSE_FILE. When I removed this, VTune was able to run!

You might want to give this feedback to the licensing/installer team - you can't assume that VTune is the only program to use FLEX. Come companies will have other software installed that uses the FLEX licensing server. The installer should detect that this (and possibly other) environment variables are already set and warn the user that this might cause VTune to not run successfully, giving instructions on how to work around the problem.

Colin.

Hi Colin,

The following statements

> Trying to install the FLEX server that came with it resulted in similar problems.

> There is a FLEXlm server in my Intel Software Development Tools start menu folder but starting that requests a license file and it won't work with the one I was sent.

made me feel that you got Intel Flexlm manager from the package you downloaded from Intel registration center, which is not possible.

I will pass on your feedback to the product team and documentation team, so that they can investigate the same and add some extra notes in the installation guide.

Thank You for getting back.
Shamla

0 Kudos