Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Changes made while debugging (using inspector) do not propagate

Danny_B
Beginner

We've recently added a new testing device to our stock, a Galaxy Note 7; when we attempt to develop against it, we receive the following error:

http://screencast.com/t/fJSWgYZKz

Request with id = X failed. { "code":-32601, "message":"'CSS.setStyleText' wasn't found"} 

Other test devices continue to work as expected; only the new device is having issues.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Can you provide a little more context. Are you testing on device using the Debug tab and you are seeing this in the Chrome DevTools? Are you debugging a built app and using remote CDT? Are you building with the "optimize for Crosswalk" on or off?

0 Kudos
Danny_B
Beginner

Hello, Paul!

I'm testing this device using the "Debug Tab" and I'm seeing this error while using Chrome DevTools. We do have "optimize for crosswalk" enabled.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Now I understand (I don't know what's wrong, but the image now makes more sense). The error is coming from the XDK, not from your app. Why, I don't know. I'll have to ask engineering to identify the source of that error message.

What happens if you remove all debug modules from the device (using the broom icon on the toolbar) and then let the XDK rebuild the custom debug module. Do you get the same results? You might have to switch away from the Debug tab and go back to the Debug tab to get it to rebuild.

It's possible the Note is blocking something from the XDK.

Other than this error message, does the app work as expected? If not, does it work as expected when you build and install the built app on the Note? If it only works properly as a built app, but not as a custom debug module, you can debug your built app using the process described here > https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/docs/intel-xdk-debug-and-test-overview#RemoteChromeDevTools <

0 Kudos
Danny_B
Beginner

Removing the debug modules makes sense, and it was one of the first steps I attempted. Unfortunately, I'm not sure the feature is working correctly. When I attempt to remove/clean modules, I receive a modal that has a list containing a single line item. There is no way for me to select (and therefor remove) the line item. I've attached an image of the modal I see. (In the past, I've been able to successfully clean/remove modules)

Other than that error message (which is stopping me from tweaking style values, elements, etc.) the app works as expected.

It's possible the issue is specific to the Note 7 hardware, but it would be at least a little odd as we have other devices with the same version of Android installed.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Danny -- that is odd, that you are not able to select and remove that debug module. That behavior leads me to believe there's something going on in the Note software that's getting in the way (blocking some operations). Even if you have the same version of Android on another device, it doesn't mean they will behave the same way. Device vendors can and do customize the underlying Android on their devices, so behavior can vary between devices even though they have the same version of the OS.

You might try removing the debug module by way of the application manager on the device (in the Android settings, usually in a section called Apps or Applications). From there you can select the debug module (they're easy to locate, starting with a name like "AP Debug...") and uninstall it directly.

It's possible that Samsung device is preventing some apps from starting automatically; I have that problem on my Asus device. Generally that means you have to manually start App Preview on the device before using the Debug tab. App Preview acts as an intermediary between the Debug tab and the custom debug module.

Which version of Crosswalk are you building with?

0 Kudos
Danny_B
Beginner

Hi Paul,

I attempted the following:

On Device:

1. Navigate to device's settings
  2. Locate and uninstall "AP Debug xxx"

Intel XDK:

1. Navigate away from "Debug" tab and then back to "Debug" tab
  2. Intel XDK should scan device for debug modules and prompt for install. Install the debug modules.
  3. Re-deploy app to phone
  4. Attempt to modify a css/style attribute in Chrome DevTools

It's worth noting that the app launches just fine; even with app preview closed initially. The console works as well. The only thing I appear to be having trouble with is modifying DOM / CSS Attributes using the Chrome's DevTools.

I am using CrossWalk 19

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

I spoke with engineering and we, unfortunately, do not have any additional recommendations regarding how to deal with this issue, other than ignoring it if it is not interfering with debugging your app on that device. The error is coming from the device (being displayed by the XDK), meaning there is something about the device that is not honoring that operation.

If you use the method described here > https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/docs/intel-xdk-debug-and-test-overv... < do you get the same result?

0 Kudos