Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Clarification on the Capabilities of Xeon Phi

lee_w_2
Beginner

Now I realize they are totally useless without the compiler, which is another hidden cost of 700 USD. Then, what I am wondering is whether I will have the same regret once I purchase the compilers as well. This is my situation:
- I have an application that I have build myself in C++ and that I want to run as a native application on the device. However, the application has many dependencies from other libraries, who are used as such, i.e. the shared libraries are already compiled either for 32-bit or 64-bit x86 architecture. I dont have their source code to recompile them for the MIC. My biggest worry is whether I can port those libraries on the XEON PHI?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Xeon Phi, Knights Corner (KNC), will not run 32-bit applications.

And, unless your code is highly vectorizable  scalar applications are typically not suitable for use. The native mode on KNC runs Linux. This would require shared libraries in Linux. Furthermore, some of the Intel64 instructions are not available on KNC, therefore, some of the .so Linux libraries might not work.

Knights Landing (KNL) version of Xeon Phi should be able to run 32-bit application, but I suspect it will require 64-bit O/S. *** Note, this is only an assumption on my part. In a few weeks I may be able to confirm this as I am awaiting delivery of a KNL system. KNL should be better for scalar applications than KNC. Though both have their design strength of using 512-bit SIMD instructions. KNL can run some of the newer releases of Windows

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos