Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Current correct way to have audio in Construct 2 app build?

One__EternaL
New Contributor I

What's the most current correct way to have working audio in a Construct 2 app build using the latest updates of C2 and XDK?

Every one of my ~dozen build tests failed, that I came up with using instructions from this forum and C2's. The varied tests included making a fresh new C2 project that plays a valid m4a/ogg audio file at start of layout as well as with any click or tap. Results included either no audio playing, or the app crashing after the splashscreen. So clearly there's at least one vital piece of info I'm missing about how to work audio with the latest updates of C2 and XDK.

Some points for thought: I have 'minify script' unchecked. I've made extensive build tests with 'use new Intel XDK project format' checked as well as unchecked (using the applicable instructions for both methods, found here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-xdk/topic/607195 ). I export the audio file for both formats, just in case, despite my current focus on just Android for now. I set 'minimum supported OSs' to 8.0+ for iOS and 4.0+ for Android. Plugins: When using C2's 'new project format' in XDK, in which Device and Splashscreen are already included, I've tested every scenario I know of regarding audio plugins, including: (1)no other plugins included, (2)just Media plugin included, (3)just Native Audio plugin included, and (4)with both those plugins included. As always, Emulate works, but actual build test on device does not. I lack a physical Android device, but I test my APKs using what I assume is a perfectly valid and, if so, convenient method, in which I use the latest version of BlueStacks Android emulator (PC). I just download the e-mailed ARM file and open it directly, which installs it as an app on BS. (But let me know if there's any reason audio would only be silent on BS, whereas it would actually be audible on a physical Android device.) As for when using C2's 'old project format' in XDK, in which no plugins are included automatically, I manually included Device, Splashscreens, and then repeated the same tests regarding the four possible mixes between those two audio plugins.

I think that's everything. Please point out where you think the hitch is. Thanks!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wolftest.wolftest

Also if anyone has a mobile Android device, and actually gets sound when running this test app, please let me know. Can also be found by searching Google Play for: wolftest

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Amrita_C_Intel
Employee

Please use the Media plugin listed under core plugins list.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Eternal -- I ran it on a Zenphone 2 (which is an x86 device) and it has sound. There's a wolf jumping back and forth making what sounds like a snorting sound and a growl. I assume the problem is your BlueStack tool. I recommend you use either the HAXM emulator that is part of the Android Studio toolkit or purchase an inexpensive or used Android device for debugging. It will be much faster than what you are doing now.

BTW, I'm assuming you are uploading BOTH the ARM and x86 images, because successfully working on an x86 device requires the end user download the Crosswalk shared library.

0 Kudos
One__EternaL
New Contributor I
Debug Module Error
  • Building a Cordova 5.4.1 Project Preview application with Crosswalk 16.
  • Using platform cordova-android 5.0.0.
  • The application name is "AP Debug x16 New project"
  • The package name is "com.intel.appx.New project.xwalk16"
  • Error: The package names can contain only alphanumeric characters, the period (.), and the underscore (_).
0 Kudos
One__EternaL
New Contributor I

I now have a very nice and affordable Android device off eBay. What's the quickest and easiest way to test my apps on it? I tried the Debug tab and got the above error, and I also did some research and got into things like drivers for my Windows PC, but I'm just looking to get into it asap. Thanks for the help so far!

I did get past the above error by renaming my project in Construct2 and re-exporting it, but it also says: Error encountered while installing App Preview 2.8.0 on your device. Suggestion: Retry. Reason: 600

Although I already manually installed it on my device anyway, it seems to think it's not there. Also after it completes installing the Debug module, nothing else happens, still.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

The debug module builder is using your project name in the App ID, and that project name contains a space character, which is not allowed. So renaming the project was the right thing to do.

Regarding App Preview, you probably have not enabled the use of non-market apps. Please make sure you can "side-load" apps. Also, some devices have "auto start" blockers that will prevent the XDK from automatically starting App Preview. In that case, you simply need to start App Preview manually before you start using the Debug tab.

Please read and watch the following:

0 Kudos