Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17060 Discussions

Do I need to have Windows 10 Pro for using Intel HAXM (Android virtualization)??

Jubin_S_
Beginner

I am a Windows 10 Home user (Intel i7 quad core, 12 GB RAM) and virtualization is Enabled in my BIOS but when I try to install Intel HAXM (Android virtualization software), I get an error that Virtualization technology is support but not enabled. On contacting HP customer care, they said I need to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro in order to use virtualization but if you look at the System Requirements here on Intel HAXM site it just says "Windows 10 (32/64 bit)" nothing is mentioned about Windows 10 Pro specifically. Do I need to have Windows 10 Pro in order to use Intel HAXM?? or I should be able to use it with Windows 10 Home as well.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
gaston-hillar
Valued Contributor I

Jubin,

Windows 10 Home doesn't allow you to work with Windows Hyper-V. However, Intel HAXM doesn't require Windows Hyper-V. In fact, the documentation for Intel HAXM indicates that it is convenient to disable Windows Hyper-V:

"It is recommended to disable Hyper-V on Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 in order for HAXM to function properly."

I've executed Intel HAXM without problems in Windows 8.1 Home and Windows 10 Home. Thus, I think you have another problem that is not related to Windows 10 Home.

0 Kudos
gaston-hillar
Valued Contributor I

In case you are working with Avast Antivirus, make sure you check the following thread:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/android-applications-on-intel-architecture/topic/562627

0 Kudos