Feature request: please support "merges" and all others cordova's folders

Giorgio_B_1
Beginner

as i wrote in the title... thanx!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

We are not able to support ALL the standard CLI folders in our cloud-based build server for security reasons. In particular, the CLI hooks feature represents a significant risk to those servers, so it is unlikely to be supported. As the product evolves we are trying to take advantage of as many standard Cordova features as we can.

0 Kudos
Barry_Johnson
New Contributor I

I appreciate the security concerns. It occurs to me that some of the merge functionality could possibly be implemented client-side, i.e., how the uploaded package is assembled for a build, depending on the target build platform selected.

0 Kudos
Giorgio_B_1
Beginner

Please add at least the "merges" funcionality. I'll prefer client side too, so i don't have to upload unnecessary assets, that sometimes are many MBs. And please make the "merges" subfolder a valid target for the provisioning files. Thanks.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Thanks for the feedback. I'm part of the Cordova working group for the product (not the Apache group but our internal engineering group) and I'll pass this on as part of our ongoing discussions. One thing you should try is the Early Access version (it can be installed alongside the existing version); it brings the plugins into your project directory in a way that is consistent with a CLI project (it actually uses CLI under the hood). There's a little bit of this going on in the current release, but the EA release takes it quite a bit further. See this post for details: https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/561050

0 Kudos
Giorgio_B_
Beginner

I come here back after some months.

Your last release (3088) is GREAT and have lot of big and useful changes!

I still hope you'll implement the "merges" folder soon because i can't build for different platform at the same time and i have to manually remove undesireded files like mobileprovisioning files, icons, spash screens and sometime some huge files.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Giorgio -- please see the EA release for the new assets folder that removes icons and splash screens from your source directory, so only those images that are needed for the platform are included. Note, this does not address app-specific images that you may have optimized for iOS versus Android, only icons and splash screens.

0 Kudos
Giorgio_B_
Beginner

Thank you Paul, i'm very happy to read it, that's something really useful.

Does this feature work for the provisioning files too?

Do the "merges" folder will be integrated locally in the future (as it happed for the "plugins" folder)?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Giorgio -- I do not believe you can put the mobile provision files in there (need to double-check), I've asked that they be included in the cert management panel, but locating them in that folder would also work. I'll see if we can add that for the mainstream release it it's not already supported by EA.

No hard plans, at this time, to utilizes the Cordova merges folder in the project. We are trying to improve our project compatibility with standard Cordova, but no specific plans that I can talk about at this time.

0 Kudos