Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Fraudulent Chip Descriptions

kvaml
Beginner
Some chips are labeled as having virtualization support when they do not. Consumers are getting duped into buying computers that can not meet their needs. I just bought a laptop (HP Pavilion dv7-7217us) convinced I could use KVM based virtual machines since its P7550 processor was clearly labeled as supporting virtualization.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=42014

(There are other threads with similar grumbles.)
Do we need to complaing to the Federal Trade Commissioin and other consumer fraud protection agencies?

Is Intel prepared to help with products bought under false representations?
0 Kudos
11 Replies
David_O_Intel1
Employee
Let's try and be constructive here. If there are mistakes on our product pages, let'sidentify the specificssothat I can report them internally and get them changed pronto.

I'm looking at the P7550 processor page at http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=42014. It looks like the product has been retired and discontinue. Okay. Next to the Intel Virtualization Technology feature it says to "See SPEC Details". Okay. Clicking on the link,it says, "Intel Virtualization Technology requires a computer system with a processor, chipset, BIOS, virtual machine monitor (VMM) and for some uses, certain platform software, enabled for it. Functionality, performance or other benefit will vary depending on hardware and software configurations. Intel Virtualization Technology-enabled VMM applications are currently in development."

It appears that the product stupports Intel VT, but all the requirements must be met. This includesOEM support for the feature --the OEM is using a product SKU with the feature included and has provided a BIOS that enables the feature during startup. Does your BIOS include an Intel VT enable option?

David Ott

0 Kudos
yuhong2
Beginner
Let's try and be constructive here. If there are mistakes on our product pages, let'sidentify the specificssothat I can report them internally and get them changed pronto.

I'm looking at the P7550 processor page at http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=42014. It looks like the product has been retired and discontinue. Okay. Next to the Intel Virtualization Technology feature it says to "See SPEC Details". Okay. Clicking on the link,it says, "Intel Virtualization Technology requires a computer system with a processor, chipset, BIOS, virtual machine monitor (VMM) and for some uses, certain platform software, enabled for it. Functionality, performance or other benefit will vary depending on hardware and software configurations. Intel Virtualization Technology-enabled VMM applications are currently in development."

It appears that the product stupports Intel VT, but all the requirements must be met. This includesOEM support for the feature --the OEM is using a product SKU with the feature included and has provided a BIOS that enables the feature during startup. Does your BIOS include an Intel VT enable option?

David Ott

Actually, clicking that link points to a table below, which clearly says that this CPU do NOT have VT.
0 Kudos
primoo
Beginner
Quoting - kvaml
Some chips are labeled as having virtualization support when they do not. Consumers are getting duped into buying computers that can not meet their needs. I just bought a laptop (HP Pavilion dv7-7217us) convinced I could use KVM based virtual machines since its P7550 processor was clearly labeled as supporting virtualization.

Do we need to complaing to the Federal Trade Commissioin and other consumer fraud protection agencies?

I agree. Before I ordered my HP-DV3T I made sure I checked out the processor options and saw that the P7550 support VT-x. I checked and double checked the intel website for this specific feature. At the time, the website specified VT-x was supported, so I ordered my custom HP computer only to find it does not support VT-x. I went back to the intel site and saw the spec changed. If I'd had known before ordering, I would've changed my order. Thanks alot intel. Please get your specs correct so other people don't make this same mistake.
0 Kudos
David_O_Intel1
Employee
Ah, I see. So the details statement that I quoted from is generic. "VT-x" is not supported as indicated by the red "x" instead of a green check.

Not sure there is muchI can do here other than report what you have told me. Thanks for posting.

David Ott

0 Kudos
primoo
Beginner
Ah, I see. So the details statement that I quoted from is generic. "VT-x" is not supported as indicated by the red "x" instead of a green check.

Not sure there is muchI can do here other than report what you have told me. Thanks for posting.

David Ott

The funny thing is that there was a green check next to the VT-x on the P7550 when I checked on Sep. 4th because I ordered my custom HP computer on Sep. 6th making sure it supported VT-x. And, at that time I was assured by your website that I was ordering the right CPU. The other choice was the P7350, which I knew did not support the VT-x feature, so I spent the extra $100 to get the P7550 only to find out it actually did not support VT-x. Total bummer...Intel.
0 Kudos
vu64
Beginner
There has been much talk about this on the web. Some blame Intel, some blame the PC manufacturers. I think it's time someone put this problem to court.

0 Kudos
raltar1
Beginner
Quoting - kvaml

I also checked this out very carefully before ordering an HDX16 from HP, only to find that the description on intel's page has changed. Unfortunately for me, this makes the laptop an expensive paperweight, as I need VT for business purposes.

I am currently trying to return the machine. If this fails, has anybody begun proceedings in the class action suit? From the number of complaints I've been seeing on the net, I'm sure that there will be one.

If you're affected by this, be careful about taking coupons or anything from Intel before you contact the lawyers for the suit. They usually try to convince you to waive your rights cheaply, and if you accept, you can miss out on full compensation.
0 Kudos
dv7-2170us
Beginner
Quoting - raltar1

I also checked this out very carefully before ordering an HDX16 from HP, only to find that the description on intel's page has changed. Unfortunately for me, this makes the laptop an expensive paperweight, as I need VT for business purposes.

I am currently trying to return the machine. If this fails, has anybody begun proceedings in the class action suit? From the number of complaints I've been seeing on the net, I'm sure that there will be one.

If you're affected by this, be careful about taking coupons or anything from Intel before you contact the lawyers for the suit. They usually try to convince you to waive your rights cheaply, and if you accept, you can miss out on full compensation.

False posted information... I purchased a DV7-2170us with P7550 specifically because Intel clearly stated on their site in July '09 that this chiphad IVT... I quickly eliminated my other notebook options with P7350 and P7450 because these were indicated notto be IVT capable.

Is there no accountability here fromeither Intel or HP... If not, I guess a judge can decide the ethics of this through class action... Theremust be a number of hungry law firms out there in these tough economic times to take on what is clearly misrepresentation.
0 Kudos
dv7-2170us
Beginner
It appears HP has come out with a new BIOS (F.35A) effective end of Oct '09. The DV7-2170us (Intel P7550) I purchased in July was shipped with F.24 with no Virtualization enable field possible.

I have contacted HP regarding Virtualization and P7550 specifically (It iswell knownIntel originally posted the spec indicating the P7550 was VT capable)...The support team has responded by saying that BIOS F.35A will in fact have the Virtualization option and should enable this feature on the P7550 chip.

I am reluctant to attempt the BIOS change myself, however, for those of you more tech savy you may wish toattempt to achieve the desired result. If you try, I'd be interested in your success... Please post and share your result(s).

Thank you for contacting HP Total Care.
I have reviewed the previous interaction and understood that you would like to enable the Virtualization field on your notebook. Yes, according to our database you can enable the Virtualization field with the updated BIOS version (F.35 A) with the P7550 Intel processor.I am sorry to inform you that I am unable to provide the confirmation, whether you can enable Intel Virtualizationon the P7550 Processorwith the current F.24BIOS or not.

However, you can check the same setting on the F.24 BIOS version.

Shut down the computer if it is running.
Press the power button to turn on the computer.
Press f10 when the HP/Compaq logo displays.
After the BIOS Setup Utility displays, use the Right Arrow key to select the Diagnostics menu.
Select system configuration option and press enter.
Select the Virtualization Technology and Enabled the option.
Press f10 for save the setting.

If the system configuration option does not show the Virtualization technology,thenI would request you to install the updated version of the BIOS.

Please get back to us with the result and we will be happy to assist you further.

0 Kudos
primoo
Beginner
Quoting - dv7-2170us
It appears HP has come out with a new BIOS (F.35A) effective end of Oct '09. The DV7-2170us (Intel P7550) I purchased in July was shipped with F.24 with no Virtualization enable field possible.

I have contacted HP regarding Virtualization and P7550 specifically (It iswell knownIntel originally posted the spec indicating the P7550 was VT capable)...The support team has responded by saying that BIOS F.35A will in fact have the Virtualization option and should enable this feature on the P7550 chip.

I am reluctant to attempt the BIOS change myself, however, for those of you more tech savy you may wish toattempt to achieve the desired result. If you try, I'd be interested in your success... Please post and share your result(s).

Thank you for contacting HP Total Care.
I have reviewed the previous interaction and understood that you would like to enable the Virtualization field on your notebook. Yes, according to our database you can enable the Virtualization field with the updated BIOS version (F.35 A) with the P7550 Intel processor.I am sorry to inform you that I am unable to provide the confirmation, whether you can enable Intel Virtualizationon the P7550 Processorwith the current F.24BIOS or not.

However, you can check the same setting on the F.24 BIOS version.

Shut down the computer if it is running.
Press the power button to turn on the computer.
Press f10 when the HP/Compaq logo displays.
After the BIOS Setup Utility displays, use the Right Arrow key to select the Diagnostics menu.
Select system configuration option and press enter.
Select the Virtualization Technology and Enabled the option.
Press f10 for save the setting.

If the system configuration option does not show the Virtualization technology,thenI would request you to install the updated version of the BIOS.

Please get back to us with the result and we will be happy to assist you further.

I just updated my bios on my DV3T-2000 with the latest bios update on the hp website dated 9-29-09. It is F.12A which I believe is the equivalent to the DV7 F.35A release. The bios flash went off without a hitch but when I got into the bios setup and went to system configuration, there was no Virtualization enable/disable option. I too am running the P7550 intel chip. So after the bios upgrade I still have no VT-x. Please let me know if the F.35A update enables VT-x.

ps. Looks like the F.35A release is dated 9-30-09 and not the end of Oct 09.
0 Kudos
primoo
Beginner
I'm beginning to think that the new bios updates enables intel processors that, actually, support VT-x, like the P8000 series processors. And, that the p7550 chip, itself,does not support VT-x.
0 Kudos