Software Archive
Read-only legacy content

Future of Intel XDK

Alper_B_
New Contributor I

Hello All,

What are the plans of Intel for the future of XDK? Can we rely on XDK for the big commercial projects? "at least" how long time the project and the support will continue?

Best Regards,
Alper Barkmaz
Software Architect
Duisburg, Germany

0 Kudos
9 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Hello Alper,

Unfortunately, we're not allowed to publish roadmaps or speculate on such information in public venues like this. I can put you in touch with one of our project managers, if you would like; we are interested in learning about commercial and enterprise use of the product. I'm assuming the email address you're using for this forum is appropriate for contact? Let me know.

Paul

0 Kudos
Alper_B_
New Contributor I

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the prompt reply. Yes, your project managers can contact me from my registered e-mail address.

Thanks,
Alper

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Hi Alper,

I've forwarded your contact info to the appropriate parties.

Paul

0 Kudos
Aahedi
Beginner

I'm also really curious about the future of Intel XDK because I rely on Intel XDK for each of my projects all this time. Is it really going to last so long?

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Aahedi -- it is our intent to keep the app moving forward. What sort of apps are you building? Are you building apps for personal use or for a company? Also, our projects are compatible with standard Cordova CLI (we build Cordova apps) so it is very easy to switch to using Cordova CLI if, for some reason, the XDK no longer served your purposes.

0 Kudos
Gary_H_2
New Contributor I

For an Android Crosswalk app what would you need to do to an XDK project to get it to build locally with the Cordova CLI?

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

To build it locally you should use Cordova CLI 5.4.1 or 6.0.0 and then make sure you add the cordova pluggable webview to your project. See this article > https://crosswalk-project.org/documentation/cordova/cordova_4.html and this > https://github.com/crosswalk-project/cordova-plugin-crosswalk-webview

0 Kudos
Martin_T_
Beginner

I am evaluating XDK at the moment to build an in-house app.

Initially we have chosen XDK because it has good security features and is in Javascript, has test, debug and publish tools.  Now I have installed it and updated I see the publish, build, test and debug have gone.  So now looking for another solution. This is not stable enough for us to build a mobile app on. I guess that functionality will be gone by the end of the year and it will be all Internet of Things.

I do feel a bit cheated but that is the problem using frameworks you are a slave to their roadmap, which is never published :-)

0 Kudos
Thomas_R_3
Beginner

Hello Paul,

May I request contact information for those responsible for XDK roadmap or retirement as it may be?

many thanks,

thomas

0 Kudos