Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Getting raw IR data from the RealSense SR300

Kai_F_
Beginner

The question: Is there anything which filters out infrared from the color camera on the Real-Sense SR300? Is it possible to get the raw infrared data from the infrared sensor?

The background:

I am currently using an OmniVision 5647 camera sensor and a raspberry pi to get infrared video. I am using a red filter (which reflects red) over the camera sensor, and so the infrared data is essentially being encoded in the red channel of RGB. I have been told by a co-worker that this should be possible with any camera, as long as there's no infrared filter built into the camera system. I would like to add depth-sensing capability to the system, and the SR300 looks very promising, so I am wondering if this same thing I'm doing with the OmniVision 5647 camera is possible with the SR300.

Just to be clear. I don't want to interfere with the infrared camera. If it's possible to extract the raw data from the IR camera that would also work, but I'm assuming I need to leave that alone to still get depth data.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
samontab
Valued Contributor II

Yes, as most colour cameras, they have an IR filter, which blocks IR light.

Yes, you can get the raw infrared data from the infrared sensor. That's the IR stream offered in the SDK.

If you mean the raw data with no emitted light, then you can turn the IR emitter off for a while and grab the image, but of course you will not be able to get depth data with no emitted light.

0 Kudos
Kai_F_
Beginner

Thank you salmontab for the prompt and helpful reply.

When I'm grabbing the raw IR stream from the camera, I assume it is possible to leave the IR emitter switched on and get both the depth image and the infrared image. Is this true? Also, do you predict any quality issues with the raw IR image if I do this? (something like the streaked, blurry lines I have seen in certain images of the projection pattern of the F200)

0 Kudos
samontab
Valued Contributor II

You need to be more clear about what you mean with raw IR stream. Do you mean the scene with no IR pattern projected?

There is no magic in this. The raw IR image contains whatever IR light is in the room at that moment. If you switch the IR emitter on, those IR lights will appear on the IR camera. If you switch them off they won't be there. It's the same as using an external IR camera.

You can synchronize this as well, say, turn the emitter off, grab an IR image with no IR patterns projected on it, then turn the emitter on, and get the depth associated with it. Assuming that the scene hasn't changed in those two instances, this may be what you want.

Of course you cannot have simultaneously both, the IR scene with no pattern, and the depth values, because you need the IR pattern to deduce the depth.

0 Kudos