Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Global vs Rolling Shutter for the RealSense F200

Kai_F_
Beginner

I could not find information on whether the Intel RealSense F200 used global shutter or rolling shutter, but I need to know this before purchasing. Does anybody know which it is?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Eli_E_
New Contributor I

The dual IR sensors on the R200 and the single IR sensor on the F200/SR300 are global shutter. As such, the depth maps do not suffer from rolling shutter artifacts. Although the RGB sensors on all camera models are triggered from the same sync signal, the RGB sensors ARE rolling shutter.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I didn't have any luck finding the F200's shutter type either.  

Regarding the R200 camera, an Intel PDF says that the R200 uses a global shutter.  That doesn't necessarily mean that the F200 does also, since the two cameras don't share the same hardware design.

1.jpg

Edit: a couple of sources speculated that the F200 used a rolling shutter, a conclusion that was based on artifacts on images generated by the F200.  They had nothing to back up their conclusion other than guesswork based on such images though.  Here's an example commentary:

1.jpg

0 Kudos
samontab
Valued Contributor II

Marty G. wrote:

I didn't have any luck finding the F200's shutter type either.  

Regarding the R200 camera, an Intel PDF says that the R200 uses a global shutter.  That doesn't necessarily mean that the F200 does also, since the two cameras don't share the same hardware design.

Edit: a couple of sources speculated that the F200 used a rolling shutter, a conclusion that was based on artifacts on images generated by the F200.  They had nothing to back up their conclusion other than guesswork based on such images though.  Here's an example commentary:

Well, these guys are basing their guess on the images I provided here:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/realsense/topic/537872

Now, those images were not taken by the F200. I used another high speed infrared camera. You can actually see the F200 in the frame!. So, any comment on image acquisition of those images would not apply to the F200 at all.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Thanks for the info, Samontab.  I was surprised that the information PDF for the F200 didn't quote the shutter type in the same way that the R200 PDF did.

0 Kudos
Kai_F_
Beginner

I am mostly interested in the depth information that I could get from the F200. From information thread linked to by salmontab, it sounds like the F200 would use a global shutter at least for the IR sensor similarly to how the PDF says the R200 does. Does this mean that my depth image would be free of rolling shutter artifacts?

0 Kudos
samontab
Valued Contributor II

I haven't tested it directly, but I would assume that they are using a global shutter for the infrared camera.

0 Kudos
Eli_E_
New Contributor I

The dual IR sensors on the R200 and the single IR sensor on the F200/SR300 are global shutter. As such, the depth maps do not suffer from rolling shutter artifacts. Although the RGB sensors on all camera models are triggered from the same sync signal, the RGB sensors ARE rolling shutter.

0 Kudos