Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

How to use the SDK with my Microsoft Surface Pro 4's build-in Realsense Camera?

Mariusz_W_
Beginner

Hi all,

I've recently purchased the 256GB version of Surface Pro 4. I love it, with the exception of 2 "blue screens" in 3 weeks.. But it's not in the main focus.

I discovered that it has a built-in Intel Realsense Camera that's used for the Windows Hello feature that automatically signs the user in by recognizing his/her face.

I wonder if there is a way to use this camera for other purposes? I've tried to install the SDKs for the realsense cameras but non of them detected the build in reaslesne camera. Is there any way to get it to work with an SDK? I'm really curious about what else it can do, other than signing me in..

All opinions would be appreciated.

Mariusz

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Colleen_C_Intel
Employee

Can you check in Control Panel/Programs to see what is listed under Intel as far as a DCM (Depth Camera Manager) and what is listed under Device Manager >Imaging devices for Intel?

0 Kudos
Xusheng_L_Intel
Employee

Surface Pro 4.did not have build-in Intel RealSense camera. Microsoft used their own IR camera. You can buy our peripheral Intel RealSense camera and connect it via USB3.0 port if you want to use the features in Intel RealSense SDK. Thanks!

0 Kudos
george_h_3
Beginner

Here are the three things I could find in the device manager of my surface pro 4 which look related to the realsense set up. Too bad we cant get the SDK to work, would be fun...

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNGCapture3.PNG

0 Kudos
Colleen_C_Intel
Employee

You'll note there is no Intel RealSense Camera listed. Microsoft used a different camera and hence the RS SDK will not work. 

0 Kudos