Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950- WHAT GAMES CAN I PLAY

technocow
Beginner

I bought a sony viao laptop with a Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950. Some websites say I have basic T+L but others say I don't. Could you please clear me up on this, as I don't know what games work on my laptop. I also dont know wheather i have Pixel Shader or Virtex Shader. Please help! smiley [:-)]

0 Kudos
23 Replies
Aaron_B_Intel
Employee

This list is probably not complete:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intel945g/sb/CS-020666.htm

As for T&L, the only Intel integrated graphics solution which supports T&L in hardware is the G965-- and currently there are no drivers for this capability. The drivers do provide some software support for the pixel shader and vertex shader architectures, but I don't know how deep that goes for GMA950, for example.

0 Kudos
technocow
Beginner
Thanks, but i did just install a game which needed t&l and it worked fine. Do you think that means i have it?
0 Kudos
Aaron_B_Intel
Employee
Nope. I suspect the emulation in software is good enough for that specific game's criteria. However, depending on how any particular game is written, it may refuse to run if it doesn't detect hardware T&L.
0 Kudos
technocow
Beginner

ive found websites that say i do have it. Is there absolutely no chance that ive got it. Is there any way to get if i dont?

0 Kudos
Aaron_B_Intel
Employee

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-011910.htm

I'd call that pretty definitive. Only on the G965 do you get T&L in hardware. Everything else uses CPU cycles.

It'sa hardware limitation of the northbridge/GMCH chip, and you can't "get it" without a new motherboard.

That said, with a Core 2 Duo, you shouldn't NEED it fora lot ofgaming, but a lot of games out there look for it anyway because they figure it makes a difference and don't want you blaming their programming skills if you get 10 FPS.

0 Kudos
technocow
Beginner
so i dont really need it if i have core duo?
0 Kudos
Aaron_B_Intel
Employee

Not exactly what I meant. In many (not all) cases, the game developers look for it anyway when attempting to run the games (regardless of the fact of whether it is strictly needed or not).

My point was that a Core 2 Duo, combined with a 954G, can do things in software that it would take hardware T&L to do with a lesser processor. But if the game was written to check for HW T&L and not execute if it doesn't find them, that ends up being a meaningless benefit.

0 Kudos
gljack
Beginner
GMA 950 has support for both vertex and pixel shaders. A strange thing about GMA 950 is that in DirectX it supports shaders of version 2.0 while in OpenGL supports shaders of version 1.4; OpenGL shader support is implemented rather badly, and many shader based apps in OpenGL run with problems. DirectX apps seem to run without problems. Pixel shaders are implemented in hardware, and vertex shaders are emulated in software.

As for the T&L. GMA has a hardware T&L module. The module is used only when running apps which don't use shaders. These are : pretty old games (like quake3, tomb raider 4 and such), and some new games.

When using it's T&L module GMA950 is pretty fast. I think it's performance can be compared to GeForce3 in this case. But when you run an application which uses shaders, performance is worse.

Still you will be able to launch almost any game on the GMA 950. ( quake3, HL2, doom3, Tomb Raider Legend) run without problems. The bad thing is that in GMA oerformance is low, so you'll have to play games like HL2 or doom3 in very low quality settings.
0 Kudos
bristol81
Beginner

Hi,

My husband and I have just bought at HP 7750 media PC, but are having problems playing games. We tried to load up Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter but it keeps saying

Crash in application version: grpcrc1.35

Failed setting up render device.

Do you know if this is because the Media Accelerator 950 isn't compatible?

Any help would be appreciated, as I don't really understand very much about computers or PC gaming and am new to it all.

0 Kudos
janc
Beginner

Hi! I'm having the same problem. I just bought toshiba Satellite A135-S4527, it has Graphics Media Accelerator 950. I installed Lord of the rings the return of the king and it doesn't work. it says that "COULD NOT FIND ANY COMPATIBLE DIRECT3D DEVICES with required capabilities". I have the latest direcx intalled. I tried putting the modified LOTR.ini but it doesn't work. What is the problem? Pls help.

0 Kudos
doraemon_mvp043
Beginner

i had brought an asus laptop core 2 duo 1500 mb ram with intel gma950 graphics 224 mb, and a windows vista home premium operating system,, but i got a problem running games such as call of duty 2, devils may cry 3, and other games having a directx 9.0c, are this games really not compatible with intel 950 graphics? my direct x is direct x 10 but still those games failed to run,, and with command n conquer tiberium wars was installed but was beingstopinthe middle of the game,, why are this happens? is this compatibility issue with the graphics? games that have run on my laptop are lord of the rings 1 and 2, generals, medal of honor allied and pacific assault, nba live and tiger woods 07,

0 Kudos
kenshinpy
Beginner
hi i have a problem with a game called lineage 2(l2) this game don`t run with my pc ( Aspire 5570-2607 with intel pentium dual core processor T2080 / intel graphics media acelerator 950)it say "The game may not be consistant because AGP is deactived.Please Activate AGP for consistancy" someone now how to repair this problem?
since now i try dowload the new driver of the vga but it didn`t work
someone told me that the game dont work whit the intel GMA and say that it can be solucionated with a parch
0 Kudos
m1stersax0n
Beginner
You can run tiberium wars with the shader moved up to medium in the games options... keep everything on low or very low. Play around with the settings but MUST keep shaders on medium... Okies....

John
0 Kudos
gh0sthunter
Beginner

kenshinpy:
hi i have a problem with a game called lineage 2(l2) this game don`t run with my pc ( Aspire 5570-2607 with intel pentium dual core processor T2080 / intel graphics media acelerator 950)it say "The game may not be consistant because AGP is deactived.Please Activate AGP for consistancy" someone now how to repair this problem?
someone told me that the game dont work whit the intel GMA and say that it can be solucionated with a parch

I have exactly the same problem. The same game , same message.My lap-top is Acer Aspire 5610Z(with Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950). If someone knows how to activate the AGP(if there is one in my lap-top im not sure) please tell.Thank you!

0 Kudos
apeqs
Beginner

Hi,I Just Bought Acer,Travel Mate 6291,core 2 duo,intel Graphic Media Accelerator 950,Vista home edition,1.5gb DDR2,and i Also had install Need For Speed Carbon,But i cant play,even i put the video into the low condition,It still cant play well!but My friend Used the nvidia graphic card,also 128.He can play well NFSC.So,what should i do?Can u show me the right intel graphic that shall i use.

0 Kudos
lisha
Beginner
I have a Toshiba Satellite P205 with GMA 950. I have installed a game called Counter-Strike: Source and it doesn't seem to run right. It loads, but when it comes time to play, the lag is just absolutely ridiculous. Do I need the T&L for my laptop and if so, does it just pay for me to replace this graphics card with another? Thanks for the help!! smiley [:-)]
0 Kudos
compaqboy001
Beginner
well i only have 1 thing to say// intel graphic sucks real good OR maybe the graphic acceleration of intel devices have a bug or something.. just what the other guy said.. in a laptop with nVidia graphics,, gaming is really goood.. and i envy my friend that have a laptop with nvidia.. because he can play games at a very good rate.. and well for me i just bought a laptop that is more expensive than his,,, and still gaming sucked.. the The Mobile Intel GM965 Express chipset... intel GRAPHICS is CRAP. and no one knows how to do something about it. i have 356video memory and my friend has 128 only AND STILL HIS LAPTOP is BETTER..
0 Kudos
smuggler
Beginner

Hi guys

0 Kudos
smuggler
Beginner
gh0sthunter:

kenshinpy:

I have exactly the same problem. The same game , same message.My lap-top is Acer Aspire 5610Z(with Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950). If someone knows how to activate the AGP(if there is one in my lap-top im not sure) please tell.Thank you!

Hi guys,there are two formats supporting the video cards - AGP and PCI Express.I am playing the same game with the same msg with no problems.The bad news is that you can't avoid this msg.Every time you start L2 on your laptop you'll see it,but that's all.

What I am saying is: you can't fix something you don't have,your laptops(as mine) are using PCI Express instead of AGP - that's all

Regards

0 Kudos
gamebat
Beginner
I have the Aspire 5570-2052 with the 950 accelerator and get the message "igfx display driver stopped working but has successfully recovered" but my display will not return. The game is Hellgate:London. I even upgraded to @gigs of ram. Can this be fixed?
0 Kudos