Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Intel HAXM causes BSOD in Windows 8.1

106 Replies
Mike_B_3
Beginner

Confirmed, I have absolutely the same issue.

My Windows 8.1 Pro X64 RTM crashes with CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION when Intel HAXM 1.0.6 R3 is used.

When HAXM is disabled there is no such issue.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Matteo_A_
Beginner

As I wrote in the op's link, I have the same issue. And as Mike did, I disinstalled HAXM driver (1.0.6) and the BSODs went away. Please check this bug...thanks

0 Kudos
Alexander_W_Intel

Hi,

Sorry for the late answer. We will looking into this. I will update the thread as soon as we finished the investigations. 

Thanks,
Alex 

0 Kudos
Alexander_W_Intel

We are still investigating on this issue. The dumps doesn't indicate that this is directly caused by HAXM. It would be helpful to know how widespread this issue is and if it's still occour after the latest Windows* updates. 

Thanks,
Alex 

0 Kudos
Matteo_A_
Beginner

Thank you for investigating. I don't know exactly if the crash occurred due to HAXM driver, in fact sometimes it crashed without the emulator or eclipse open - in my case just browsing for example, in other words no active application that could use the driver, as far as I know.

What I'm sure is that when I disinstalled the driver, everything worked fine and no crashed occurred since then, so I thought it's at least related.

I'm downloading the update right now (the today's ones of xxx MB), I'll report back if something changed.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Hi Mateo

What are the Bc codes of blue screen?

0 Kudos
Matteo_A_
Beginner

Bad news...

@iliyapolak What do you mean by "Bc codes"? If you mean the error shown in the BSODs, it's CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION

The problem is still present, I've updated my Windows 8.1 RTM with the latest updates from Microsoft. I opened eclipse and the emulator, and after 30/45 minutes a crash occurred. The windows Event Viewer still says it's an "EventID 41 (Kernel Power)".

I've attached the .dmp file. I've seen thanks to BlueScreenView (v1.52) that the cause it's the ntoskrnl.exe, with bugcheckcode 0x000000109 at address ntoskrnl.exe+14dca0. As wikipedia says, the driver is responsable for, amongh others, hardware virtualization, and here I think the HAXM driver comes in play.

During the installation of HAXM, I used the suggested size of memory of 2GB if that helps.

0 Kudos
Vincent_P_1
Beginner

Hi,

I'm an Android developer, i got HAXM and since yesterday win 8.1. So, blue screen at least once by hour.

I hope there will be a fix as soon as possible.

Thks

0 Kudos
sav_s_
Beginner

Alex,

It's very easy to reproduce. I would suggest to get a copy of Windows 8.1 and give it a shot. I'm not sure why you haven't done so already. There is a long email thread at Microsoft Answers Forum so that should give you additional information. People are getting the 8.1 update now so expect moe reportings.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Yes I was interested in STOP error code.

Please run on that dump file windbg with the !analyze -v command it will give a more detailed analysis of the BSOD that the program which you have used.Can you post the fourth parameter of Bc code it should be a hex value?

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Later I will look at that dump file.

0 Kudos
Josh_G_
Beginner

I also eveloped this problem upon upgrading from 8 to 8.1.  This solved the problem for me.  You must follow the first two instructions and then restart.  It's a major bug that is causing this, but this is the tempororary work around. Good luck - Josh     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpR4_SZjyzU

0 Kudos
Josh_G_
Beginner

I am not a developer, but I had the exact same issue (BSOD with CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION error) after upgrading from 8 to 8.1.  This is how I solved it.  Make sure you restart after following the first two solutions.  Good luck - Josh G.

0 Kudos
Andres_C_
Beginner

@JoshG2013, thanks for the link, unfortunatly those fixes won't apply to this particular issue, since for one that video is on the premise that the bug happened in Windows 8 which it didn't.

Also, they're not related to system power or missing drivers. But thanks for the try.

Also a note, seems that users of Windows 8.1 upgraded today to the public release, I assume with the GA update have also the issue... so, so much for the hope of that getting it fixed. Hopefully now that it's public release this bug will get more attention.

0 Kudos
Jonathan_B_3
Beginner

Would be great to have a fix for this, hoping to upgrade to 8.1 soon. Had this issue with preview build & android emulator.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Hi JoshG

As it was pointed out by Andres C it will not apply to the situation described in this thread.Hopefully the dump file can reveal the offending driver name and in that video does not show any steps related to how the culprit(driver) was indentified.

0 Kudos
Dr_I_
Beginner

This is definately a HAXM issue. I've also experienced a number of BSODs with the critical structure error since upgrading to Windows 8.1. 

This occurs each time I run the Android emulator (with HAXM installed).

After uninstalling HAXM, the emulator runs fine without any issues (i.e. no more BSODs). Unfortunately, it's painfully slow without the acceleration, so hopefully Intel fixes this soon.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Kernel dump should reveal the offending driver(hopefully).

0 Kudos
Peter_d_
Beginner

Same issue here. First driver verifier pointed me to Poweriso driver. Removed that one. Still got BSOD's.
Uninstaled HAXM, no problems anymore.

No problems on Windows 8.0, only now on 8.1. BSOD every 30 minutes, lost some work due to it.

Kernel minidump doesn't find anything, also driver verifier doesn't handle it. Note that Virtualbox has similar issues with Critical Structure Corrupted BSOD's in 8.1, so it certainly looks like some VT-X driver issues with Windows.

Please fix, I rely on my fast android emulators while developing.

Kernel minidump with verifier enabled: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=42E041A300BECF72!708&authkey=!AINmHocCbkN1t1Y

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>>Kernel minidump doesn't find anything,>>>

Did you use windbg to analyze the crash?

Minidump should not be collected because it contains only faulting process address space.Please eneable full dump option.

0 Kudos