Software Archive
Read-only legacy content

Intel MIC MPI symmetric job profiling using Vtune

Nisha_A_
Beginner

Hi,

I want  to profile the my MPI application executing on HOST+MIC using  symmetric mode execution. I used the following command but it says cannot execute binary. I source the amplxe-vars.sh then used the following 

mpirun -host test -n 2 amplxe-cl -collect hotspots -r result-dir1 ./hello : -host test-mic0 -n 4 amplxe-cl -collect hotspots -r result-dir1 ./hello.mic

Can someone help me to profile my MPI application in symmetric mode execution.

As a second option I tried

amplxe-cl -collect hotspots -r result-dir1 -- mpirun -host test -n 2 ./hello :  -host test-mic0 -n 4 ./hello.mic

Please correct If I am doing it wrong.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Artem_R_Intel1
Employee

Hi Nisha,

It looks like 'I_MPI_MIC=on' environment variable is missed. Also please make sure that your application binaries have correct file format (for example with objdump utility).

You can find the similar case in the Intel MPI Library User's Guide: Troubleshooting on Linux*

0 Kudos
Frances_R_Intel
Employee

Unfortunately amplxe-cl runs on the host, not the coprocessor. There is no amplxe-cl on the coprocessor. However, there is an amplxe-runss (which amplxe-cl starts up remotely) and sep (the hardware event collector). I was looking for documentation on how you might use amplxe-runss directly but there really doesn't seem to be any. There is, however, https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/managed/35/7d/SEP_Users_Guide.pdf. Sep is what people have traditionally used on the coprocessor and this is probably where you want to start.

0 Kudos
Nisha_A_
Beginner

Hi Artem

Thanks for the reply, I used I_MPI_MIC enabled, but it says cannot use binary amplxe-cl. As I was launching the profiler amplxe-cl from host. 

0 Kudos
Nisha_A_
Beginner

Hi Frances

Thanks for the reply and sharing the information. To do the profiling of applictaion running on

MIC using  native mode execution where hello_mic is the binary compiled for MIC. Which

one is the correct approach. I am launching the profiling form the HOST and what is the role

played by option " target-system" , as for my case its throughing an error " Cannot create object

mic-host-launch. Please help. 

option 1: amplxe-cl  -collect hotspots  -- mpirun -np 1 -host host-mic0 ./hello_mic

option 2:amplxe-cl -target-system=mic-host-launch -collect advanced-hotspots -app-working-dir test -- mpirun.mic -np 1 -host host-mic0 ./hello_mic

0 Kudos
Nisha_A_
Beginner

Thanks 

0 Kudos