Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Intel MPI library for student use?

Georgios_S_
New Contributor II

Hi,

I have installed Intel® Parallel Studio XE Professional Edition for C++ Linux* for student use. However, the package itself provides ScaLAPACK features, which require MPI. However, the package does not have MPI installed (!). For that reason, I would like to know, since it's for student use, if I can use for more than one month the MPI Intel library. It says that I can use it for 30 days for free, but this is for my final project in class, thus it will last surely for more.

The alternative is to mix up an open source package with Intel's MKL, but I would like to avoid it, in order to get the real power of MKL, despite the fact that I am student, in the spirit of "Intel supports the next generation scientists and engineers through ensuring students have access to the latest Intel® Software Development Tools.", which is great.

So, can I please use the MPI Intel library for student use, just like I do with Parallel Studio? I can not use Parallel Studio without MPI!

Thanks in advance,

George

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Rene_Oertel
Novice

The Intel® Parallel Studio XE offers the cluster bundle suited for the classroom. The instructor/professor has to qualify for it if you are using it for teaching.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Rene_Oertel
Novice

If it is for teaching you, you may ask your professor or supervisor to apply for https://software.intel.com/en-us/academic/swdevtools

0 Kudos
Georgios_S_
New Contributor II

Rene, I use it for a project of mine in the university. Does my professor need to interfere? Also in the link you provided I can't see anywhere the MPI Intel Library.

So what should I do?

0 Kudos
Feilong_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Georgios,

If you are a student, you may be qualified for our free software tools.  However, Intel MPI library is not included as part of this offer for qualified students.  To purchase it, you may take a look at discounted student pricing.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Georgios_S_
New Contributor II

Hi Feilong,

yes, I am a student indeed. OK, thank you for your answer.

Regards,

George

0 Kudos
Rene_Oertel
Novice

The Intel® Parallel Studio XE offers the cluster bundle suited for the classroom. The instructor/professor has to qualify for it if you are using it for teaching.

0 Kudos
Georgios_S_
New Contributor II

I already have, as a student, the Professionals edition. My professor agreed to apply, I hope that MPI will provided. Thanks Rene.

0 Kudos
Georgios_S_
New Contributor II

Rene, do you know if I will have to set up the MPI cluster myself, just like I would have to do with an open source version?  For example, like in this tutorial. Fingers crossed for a no, because this tutorial did not seem to work...

0 Kudos